Inside stove safe pots ect...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My stove... Which I run at night, is a Vermont castings vigilant.... Anyways I do cook, quite often on top of it... I have been wondering... About using the inside as an oven. Say let it. Burn to coals, then insert a pot, to cook say stew, bake a pizza ect...

All my cooking pans are cast iron... Haven't got any iron pots... Would those be safe to set inside the stove for a bit? Say 20 min? I know that's a long time inside but what would be safe ?

I've done a few steaks in my cast iron frying pans . . . wicked tasty . . . and very fast cooking. Coated the pan with olive oil, threw in the steaks, seasoned and put on the coals. Only took a couple of minutes. Only drawback was the sizzling fat did spatter on to the inner glass (cooks off with the next big fire though) and when you bring out the cast iron it is wicked hot . . . as in so hot you better not be planning on walking anywhere far with it and you really need a well insulated hearth glove.

Attachments

• DSCF4803.JPG
    DSCF4803.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 86
If you are going for a slower cook, move the coals away from the pan or you will have hot spots that need stirring frequently to avoid burning the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.