Inside Surface Rust - A concern???? Englander 25PVD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a summer in New England that felt more like Fall I opened my Englander 25 PVD to discover that a large portion of the inside exposed steel had a fine coating of RUST. I tried scraping the surfaces with the putty knife that I use for cleaning the ash from these same surfaces but the orange hue of rust remains. Should I be concerned and more importantly will this hinder the transfer of heat from the rusted metal surface. I was thinking I should run some steel wool with a little elbow grease to see if I could get it off. Open to suggestions and helpful advice.

This spring and early summer was really damp. Most of us use a rust inhibitor to reduce the chance of rust.

Use a wire brush to remove the heavy stuff and then the steel wool. coat with some brush on black high heat paint(you will get a burn off smell on first start/burn)!

Then next spring use a rust preventive or inhibitor to help recurrence. Zep makes a good one if you can find it.(is spray it on a rag and brush the inside)

jay

MassPelletburner said:
.....Should I be concerned and more importantly will this hinder the transfer of heat from the rusted metal surface. I was thinking I should run some steel wool with a little elbow grease to see if I could get it off. Open to suggestions and helpful advice.

Use the steel wool if you feel ambitious....otherwise, burn away.

I'm more a fan of using a Scotchbrite pad than steel wool.

I had the same thing, I just scraped it off a bit and went straight to the burn... not sure if it was the right thing to do but Its to late now and after a few burns there seems to be no trace of the rust left.

Had the same problem...just sanded it down an bit and hit it with some stove brite paint, not sure if it has to be done, but some preventative maintenance can't hurt.

I had the same thing on my stove this summer...sort of was rusted all over the damn thing on the inside, and this is after the stove's very first season!
My dealer came out to do it's first full maintenance and deep cleaning and I showed him that rust. He said it is NO WORRY AT ALL... you don't need to do anything but burn and the stuff basically flakes right off with the first expansions and contractions of the stove walls. I can tell you that it's all my stove needed and you'd never know now what it looked like then. No need for steel wool, paint, etc.

ineclipse said:
I had the same thing on my stove this summer...sort of was rusted all over the damn thing on the inside, and this is after the stove's very first season!
My dealer came out to do it's first full maintenance and deep cleaning and I showed him that rust. He said it is NO WORRY AT ALL... you don't need to do anything but burn and the stuff basically flakes right off with the first expansions and contractions of the stove walls. I can tell you that it's all my stove needed and you'd never know now what it looked like then. No need for steel wool, paint, etc.
I am sure your dealer is right, It just makes me feel better I guess, spent alot of money on the thing and I want to make sure it lasts. I suppose it is like doing maintance on a car that is not neccessery.

I hear ya, amick.
I spent a boat load last year on this little 'space heater' of mine and when I saw all that rust, well... suffice it to say that it was certainly a WTF moment. Glad it was nothing much in the end, and apparently there isn't much that can be done to prevent it... giving it a sound cleaning in May instead of September like I did, will reduce it a bit, but he said I should expect some rust every summer depending on how damp of one we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.