Insinkerator Hot Water Dispenser - HD or Lowes has leak in Stainless Steel Tank @ 4 years!(Possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Kitchenaide has one copper line going in and plastic hose going out. Not sure about the stainless tank. I don't know about the difference in quality. We bought it through our plumbing contractor.

Other than the Insinkarator and Waste King are there any other brands that anyone would recomend or caution against? We are redoing our kitchen and the idea of instant hot water appeals to me. And if not that it strikes me as a good resale feature.

Greg H said:
Other than the Insinkarator and Waste King are there any other brands that anyone would recommend or caution against? We are redoing our kitchen and the idea of instant hot water appeals to me. And if not that it strikes me as a good resale feature.

Hello Greg

One feedback in an earlier post I got here was the Kitchenaide Brand Hot Water Dispenser lasted a long time.

I use mine everyday for Instant Coffee and we do not need a teakettle anymore.

It is also great for a hot compress for a headache etc. The hard part was wiring in the GFCI AC outlet under the sink. But then I used the outlet for an under sink light and now I can find things under there!!!

Hello

Well I certainly hope that Insinkerator adds a lock washer to the top spout on the inside of the tank. I do believe that when the spout loosened up, the tank leaked. The leak cannot be seen at the top of the tank because the shell covering. So the water dripped down the side and rusted the electrical contacts which made the GFCI keep tripping. The water could then be seen dripping from the bottom of the tank!!!

All that just because of a lock washer that should be added!!!

Don2222 said:
All that just because of a lock washer that should be added!!!

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Nursery rhyme.

Guess they should have used screws and locktite on the shoe. Hinesight is always 100%. :lol:
Ed

i was hoping to rekindle this thread to see if anyone had updates on their instant hot water tanks. we're going to be buying one soon and wanted to see what the latest and greatest is. based on amazon.com review, it seems the insinkerator models may have addressed some of the flaw previously noted.

additionally, i wanted to get opinions on this NYT article
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/health/29real.html?_r=0
THE FACTS

The claim has the ring of a myth. But environmental scientists say it is real.

The reason is that hot water dissolves contaminants more quickly than cold water, and many pipes in homes contain lead that can leach into water. And lead can damage the brain and nervous system, especially in young children.

Lead is rarely found in source water, but can enter it through corroded plumbing. The Environmental Protection Agency says that older homes are more likely to have lead pipes and fixtures, but that even newer plumbing advertised as “lead-free” can still contain as much as 8 percent lead. A study published in The Journal of Environmental Health in 2002 found that tap water represented 14 to 20 percent of total lead exposure.

Scientists emphasize that the risk is small. But to minimize it, the E.P.A. says cold tap water should always be used for preparing baby formula, cooking and drinking. It also warns that boiling water does not remove lead but can actually increase its concentration. More information is atwww.epa.gov/lead or (800) 424-5323 (LEAD).

THE BOTTOM LINE

Hot water from the tap should never be used for cooking or drinking.

P

Hello
I hope insinkerator did see all my information and fixed their product. I guess the only sure way to tell is to buy a new one and open it up to see!

Also I do not have lead in our pipes so no problems there either.

Mine has been working fine since I made those mods back in the spring of 2011 that was 5 years ago!!!
Don

Lead is rarely found in source water,
Wondering if you are watching the news from Flint, MI. Old water infrastructure and acidic source water are creating higher rate of breakdown = higher lead content in the water. Plumbing in the house may have been changed but the service line from the curb is the homeowner's problem too. Thunder Bay, ON is starting to see this issue as well... http://watercanada.net/2015/thunder...educe-lead-in-drinking-water-raises-concerns/

Local health units provide water sampling here for a very small fee due to the nasty health effects lead has especially for young children . Not sure what agency in the state would be comparable but ... get your water tested!

Edit: A good article on the issue
http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...ter-testing/pollutants/lead-in-drinking-water

Last edited:
Some suggested just microwave the water...Keurig's make hot water pretty fast too...just saying. Seems like everybody has those darn things now

Status
Not open for further replies.