Inspecting new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie24361

Aug 13, 2008
Southwest Virginia
Well, yesterday I took the plunge and ordered a Vermont Castings Encore 2550 from discountstoves.com. Matt (the salesman) told me when it arrives by truck to inspect it, and reject it if I find any damage. What type of damage should I look for? Does anyone have a checklist of things to look for?

Thanks

Ed,

I just went through a VC "experience" with my new Encore NC this summer. Yes, inspect it very carefully.

Check the box on the pallet for contact and shifting damage. as it should sit straight and in the middle.
Note the SN on the box label.
Remove the two straps and carefully remove the box upward "carefully."
Check that the SN on the data plate (rear) is the same as the shipping box. Note the mfg. date, if you are interested.
Check that the heat shield has not caused contact to any part of the stove body. The lower shield is packed loose in the box.
Look for torn plastic to give a clue that it may have been previously returned or contacted by the heat shield.
Inspect for any damage to the entire stove, also the finish, particularly if the special enamel was ordered.
Look for all handles and small parts inside with the VC owners manual. Check the bottom of each leg, as each should have a threaded adjustment pad.

Handle carefully. Very heavy.

Follow the setup instructions carefully.

Email me if questions. A nice choice.

Ed,

PM me after you get a good look at your new Encore. As your stove sales guy said, refuse it if it is damaged. Check for any missing items.

Good luck!

Stove arrived yesterday. The box was in good condition. I opened the box and checked the glass and it was not broken. The plastic covering was still intact. I did not do a complete unpack of everything since I will be storing it for about 2 weeks at the dock where it was unloaded. I will keep you posted. BTW it was manufactured July 1, 2008

That is great news. Glad to hear it. Keep in touch on how the install goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.