Inspection Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis Koble

Dec 2, 2005
My regency 2400 insert is due early next week and I’m told will be installed next week. No I don’t believe it but anyway I found time to go to the town inspection office to apply for my permits. Yes two permits one for the inspector and one for the Fire Marshall. I walk in with the full manual and pictures. I took pics inside and out of the metal zero clearance fireplace that the unit will be installed in. The inspector says 135 bucks. I said would you like to see it before the install, he said no need to. I then asked him what do you look for in the inspection. He says as long as you meet the minimum clearances. I then said here are some pictures of inside the fireplace and the UL tag. He says I don’t need to see them. Then I asked what would the Fire Marshal be looking for. He says just the clearances. Needless to say I walked out shaking my head in disbelief, out 135 bucks.

I want to thank all the posts that I read that helped me assure that I will be able to sleep at nights because I tripled checked all the safety issues that have been brought up. Don’t count on your local inspector to due it for you. This is not a hit on all inspectors as the ones in this forum helped me tremendously

$135 ???? We charge $35, which must be the best bargain going. And I do real inspections. Unfortunately not all inspectors are competent. Like any profession, there are some that are good and other’s mailing it in. Well at least you had Hearthnet to set a safe guideline. Good luck. and follow up with your burning experiences

Yeah, that seems extremely high. Fire Marshalls in my area, inspect gas appliances. The building inspector inspects wood burning appliances. Can't understand why you'd need both. Next, it was something like $30 + $5 per thousand above $2,000 rounded up. Since I paid $3,566 for my unit + liner + installation they charged me $40 for it to be inspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.