Inspection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMRINDA

Oct 7, 2010
Northwest MA
The inspector is coming on Friday and I want to show him proof of clearances.. I installed the stove about 20 inches from a window. I was under the impression that we could reduce clearance from 4 ft down to 1ft with the pellet pro vents and outside air.. Can someone elaborate on this rule or point me to a website that I can print out information for them.

Many Thanks

The clearances are listed in your stoves installation manual. You need to look no further than there.

The inspector will generally use the manual as smokey said. The exhaust outlet has nothing to do with clearance. The pipe is clearanced to one foot to combustables. The reason for the 4 foot clearance is due to the release of the exhaust gases that could get into your home.

Do you have children in your house?

yes, we have kids 9 & 4 yrs old.. I don't know if it matters but its a horizontal install with a 3ft extension. We never open the window, the rep mentioned a new pipe that allows for 12" clearances has anyone heard of this? So basically we will not a passing grade on this... That sucks!

Thanks

The quick fix is to add more pipe and go above the window or seal the window with the plastic window film. He will be checking the exhaust outlet location and how close it is to the window.

Again the 12" is clearance to combustibles. The walls, wood workings ect. The window spec is because of vent gases can enter the window. IE carbon monoxide poisoning!

we do have it sealed inside do you think we need to seal it from the outside as well? The window is 78 inch long.. That would be a lot of extra pipe to run.

I will talk to the inspector and see what he says.

With the window sealed he may pass it. But get a CO detector to ease the hearth.com members. Please think of the children!

One last question, Are you still using the broken control board?

yes, still using it! The unit works just don't know the mode its in and it never gets hotter than 160 degrees. the dealer are such a pain in the azz... Napoleon supposedly is dragging their feet, blah,blah.. Anyway, the manager is handling the exchange now... I will keep you all posted.... We installed a CO detector last week just to be on the safe side. Thank you for all of your help..

My dealer passed my self-install only after I blocked my window from being able to be opened... I simply drove a drywall screw into the top sash and window jamb. I have a horizontal vent, too.

Our city building inspector does not inspect pellet stove installations.

4 feet from a window that opens.

With an outside air kit, most stoves allow you to drop the window clearance to 18" (beside/below, 9" above). Some as low as 9" (beside/below/above with the revised NFPA guidelines).

If your stove manual doesn't mention this, check the manufacturer's website to see if there is an addendum.

gfreek said:

Or any possible air intake to the house

SmokeyTheBear said:
treehackers said:
gfreek said:

Or any possible air intake to the house

Not exactly correct treehackers, it depends upon weather the vent is above, below or on the side of the possible air intake.

Makes sense to me and that is what I thought until the local building inspector came and started measuring everything on my install. Maybe it's just another liberal MA law

So I reschedule the inspector visit to today and he FAILED us because of window clearances.. He was not very accomodating or understanding.. I was willing to nail the window closed and put hard plastic over the window he was still quoted the 4ft clearance about and adding a heat shield etc. Then when I pressed him on the heat shield then he talk about fumes getting in the house.. So in the end he offered no real solutions, he did say he was not experienced with pellet stoves and it requirements. One of his arguement was that if we sold the house and the new owners could reopen the window, then that would make it out of compliance.. At this point, I am not sure what my next move would be.. Any recommedations on what to tell the inspector or how to educate him would be great..

I guess i wouldn't have called the inspector in the first place...it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

in many cases you are allowed to terminate the vent 12" above a window, that may be what the dealer was attempting to convey.

I found the section that applies to Pellet stove in the NFPA 211 2010 guide. Under sect 10.4.5 it mentions the 4ft horizontally from an open door/window. However, in section 10.7 special venting, Direct Vent Appliances Fired with gas, oil or pellet fuels 10.7.1.2" The vent terminal of a direct vent appliance with an Output 10,000 BTU/hr or less shall be located at least 6 in from any opening into a building and and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 but not over 50,000 BTU shall be located not less than 9 inches from any opening through which vent gases could enter a building.

sect 10.7.1.3 says The bottom of the vent terminal and the air intake shall be located at least 12 in above grade.

MY question is what does it mean and why was it added, it seems contradictory to me. I need clarification on this rule before I use this as my argument with the building dept. I left a msg at the Fire dept also I want there take on this rule also.

Thanks

CMRINDA said:
I found the section that applies to Pellet stove in the NFPA 211 2010 guide. Under sect 10.4.5 it mentions the 4ft horizontally from an open door/window. However, in section 10.7 special venting, Direct Vent Appliances Fired with gas, oil or pellet fuels 10.7.1.2" The vent terminal of a direct vent appliance with an Output 10,000 BTU/hr or less shall be located at least 6 in from any opening into a building and and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 but not over 50,000 BTU shall be located not less than 9 inches from any opening through which vent gases could enter a building.

sect 10.7.1.3 says The bottom of the vent terminal and the air intake shall be located at least 12 in above grade.

MY question is what does it mean and why was it added, it seems contradictory to me. I need clarification on this rule before I use this as my argument with the building dept. I left a msg at the Fire dept also I want there take on this rule also.

Thanks

The first thing you need to find out is what code does your local jurisdiction follow.

If code where you are is follow the manufactures manual then the manual becomes the code and what is in the manual with your stove is what counts.

If code where you are says that NFPA 211 applies then that replaces the manufactures manual.

Now this is important ... it is likely that failure to follow the manufactures installation instructions will void any warranty.

I would always pick the more restrictive requirement that way you have followed both.

Exactly..

CMRINDA said:
I was worried about about insurance problems if the need ever arises..

Yeah I know... my city doesn't inspect them but my dealer REQUIRES that they come out and inspect every self-install.

CMRINDA said:
I was worried about about insurance problems if the need ever arises..

double post

Status
Not open for further replies.