Inspection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in MA, too. AFAIK from reading the MA building code laws, what the manufacturer lists is the rule and your inspector should be following that regardless of his own concerns.

My manual said the 4 feet thing, but my dealer printed and included an addendum that mentions the NFPA guidelines you quoted and explains that it's now 9".

The language "from any window that opens" was very vague. I'm not sure if screwing a window shut is the same from an exhaust leak point of view as a window that never opened in the first place.

My inspector didn't do much more than a glance. He verified I had the appropriate pipe, hearth pad, and outside air kit. Went outside to make sure the termination was within compliance regarding roof eave and neighbors -- and signed off. Everything done by eye, he said he could tell I was well beyond the required 9" (I'm about 16-18" depending on where you consider the line is).

My stove is directly in front of a window. I mean right in front.

I would call your dealer and see if they can contact the manufacturer regarding some type of update. From my understanding this change is relatively recent and the manufacturer would have to go through a process to "relist" the stove with the new guidelines, so perhaps they're just dragging their feet and/or you got a bad representative on the phone that wasn't aware of the changes. Sometimes they are far more responsive to a dealer inquiry than an end customer.

I don't think it's appropriate to be suggesting people not properly permit/inspect their stove installs. Code and code enforcement exist for good reason -- and having an unpermitted stove is giving your insurance investigator a very big gift if you are ever unfortunate enough to have a problem. Why pay for insurance if you're going to knowingly act in such a way that severely limits it?

I'll add one other comment and then go silent on this thread.

The code followed in any given town will depend upon the interaction between local, state, and federal law.

So it can get pretty confusing when one town requires it one way and another requires it another (which BTW is frequently the case).

Add to that the need to maintain warranty and underwriter listings for both warranty and insurance/mortgage reasons it is always best to inquire first and then use the most restrictive specifications.

In the end as far as code compliance goes the inspector has the final word (he can be challenged, but you best be certain before going after one).

It is also not uncommon for an inspector to make a mistake and apply old code even after it has been revised or in some cases the inspector may actually work part time in more than one town where the codes differ.

When I talked to my insurance company, they said the only thing they have to do is come out take pictures for their underwriters and then as long as I pass their inspection, I would be covered. I asked for the info they would be looking for when they do their inspection and it was very general in nature. For instance...make sure the pellet exhaust is not plumbed into the return air for the furnace and silly obvious things like that.

I did not pull a permit from my city. I wonder if the insurance could still deny me coverage (in the event of a fire) since I didn't pull a permit even though they are inspecting the installation themselves and signing off on it?
Flynfrfun

I just wanted to post an update.. WE got approval for our stove... YEAH!! I printed out the updated law to NPA211 along with documentation from Dura-Vent referencing the NPA211 law and he talked with his boss and he said that he will approve the installation.. Of course, he took a copy of the new law along the pellet-vent manual and sign his name on the dotted line.. I just wanted to thank you all for your input and encouraging words...
THANK YOU THANK YOU! Now on to my next problem...... Back later this week to solve more Napoleon Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.