Inspection troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmaster

Nov 19, 2007
Columbia, Maryland
In order to have my wood stove installation covered by my insurance policy, the insurance company needs to see that it passes inspection. I'm having trouble finding a chimney sweep who will do this inspection. They say they would have to see the chimney beforehand, and inspect it again after the installation, but they aren't interested in the liability. If I'm going to install my stove/foreverflex liner myself, how am I supposed to get it covered by insurance?? Anyone else encounter anything like this?

I'm just getting ready to install my new stove, so I'm starting to think about this stuff. From what I've been able to gather, I was under the impression that the permits and inspections were done in connection with the building department of the local government, rather than a private contractor like a chimney sweep.

Maybe somebody here can clear this up for us.

-SF

That would make sense, however my insurance company first directed me to my local fire department. The fire department forwarded me to local chimney sweeps. Nothing worth having comes easy....

SlyFerret said:
I'm just getting ready to install my new stove, so I'm starting to think about this stuff. From what I've been able to gather, I was under the impression that the permits and inspections were done in connection with the building department of the local government, rather than a private contractor like a chimney sweep.

Maybe somebody here can clear this up for us.

-SF

I agree with the Sly one. In most towns (including mine), this is a useless, bureaucratic process that is nothing but free money for the tax coffers... but I'm 99% sure this is the "inspection" your insurance company is looking for.

It's your building inspector, not sweep that needs to sign off on it. It's not an "inspection" you're after, you're after an approved permit so is the building inspector. Though, may be your fire dept. I suppose if your town/city doesn't have a building inspector. You have to sweep your chimney anyway beforehand it's a good time to get a sweep to do it and investigate it before getting your liner in.

What I had to do is install the liner & insert without the surround in place yet. Then, I gave my building inspector a call & paid for the permit. My block-off plate was already in place when the building inspector showed up some (like elkimmeg) want to see the installation BEFORE the block-off plate. He also told me, he wants to see the damper of my old fireplace (since it had to be removed) to make sure it was actually removed so make sure you don't throw it away. He came, checked out the chimney with binoculars, went inside saw my old damper removed, then found the metal plate attached to my unit that has clearances etc. and with a measuring tape measured the clearances to combustibles above and in front of the hearth. Then, told me I passed and I'd get a permit approved in the mail (or whatever it's called). Once I got that I faxed it to my insurance company and THEN I lit my first fire. You're not supposed to light a fire until you get that certificate.

Anybody in Maryland have a building inspector do their inspection?

Rhonemas said:
It's your building inspector, not sweep that needs to sign off on it. Though, you have to sweep your chimney anyway beforehand it's a good time to get a sweep to do it and investigate it before getting your liner in.

What I had to do is install the liner & insert without the surround in place yet. Then, I gave him a call & paid him to inspect it. My block-off plate was already in place when the building inspector showed up some (like elkimmeg) want to see the installation BEFORE the block-off plate. He also told me, he wants to see the damper of my old fireplace (since it had to be removed) to make sure it was actually removed so make sure you don't throw it away. He came, checked out the chimney with binoculars, went inside saw my old damper removed, then found the metal plate attached to my unit that has clearances etc. and with a measuring tape measured the clearances to combustibles above and in front of the hearth. Then, told me I passed and I'd get a certificate in the mail. Once I got that certificate I faxed it to my insurance company and THEN I lit my first fire. You're not supposed to light a fire until it's expected.

Some insurance companies will take a sweeps inspection as proof of code compliance. I used to sign off on them alot.

The reason it's a building inspector is that it's a permit you need and, usually building inspectors are the ones that inspect permitted work and sign off on them. My permit for my insert cost me $35 though, I always wondered what those cities who don't have a building inspector do...

*EDIT* Oh, thanks Shane now I know :)

I agree with Rhonemas, its the building inspector that approves the fireplace. Its the same guy that would approve the construction of an addition to your house (or at least the same office). That said, the inspector in the town I am building in is will only approve if
1) he sees the entire construction. this is extremely unlikely as it will take the entire day.
2) an installer certifies that the unit was installed as per manufacturer's spec. his definition of installer is someone with alot of liability insurance in case something goes wrong and ths issue is traced back to the unit.
My inspector wants to get the town off any liability hook. I am having a certified dealer install my system as a result. In any case, however it gets installed, you need the town inspector to sign off.

Well this has been resolved. I called my local govt and talked to the inspections/permits dept. I'm all set! Thanks much for this help.

Albert

Rhonemas said:
The reason it's a building inspector is that it's a permit you need and, usually building inspectors are the ones that inspect permitted work and sign off on them. My permit for my insert cost me $35 though, I always wondered what those cities who don't have a building inspector do...

*EDIT* Oh, thanks Shane now I know :)

Power is back on so now I can reply. Strange how things work in different places. My insurance company simply asked if ours was installed by a "certified sweep?" Now, not running off topic to much I hope, but this was strange. We live out in the country and 3 years ago had our EPA propane insert installed by the pros. That was in Nov.03, and lo and behold, in Feb.04 an inspector shows up to check it out. The gas guy must have had to fill out and forward forms to some gov. agency. Which leads me to wonder if the sweeps have to do the same thing. I know that our sweep would NOT clean our chimney until we installed the SS liner and extended the hearth to 18 inches to bring everything up to code! Would be nice to see some WETT certified sweeps chime in here>>>

toolmaster said:

I had a sweep do my install (replace prefab fireplace with EPA fireplace), but neither he nor I pulled any permits and he didn't give me any sort of inspection certificate. I was not interested in engaging my county's legendary bureaucracy unnecessarily. I called my insurance company to tell them I was replacing my fireplace (came with the house, was already on the policy). The woman thought I wanted to increase my coverage by the value of the fireplace! I kept asking if they needed any sort of documentation. Always no, you've already got a fireplace on the policy. Hope she was right.

I am not a lawyer, just a civilian. Seems to me that the town needs to have a fireplace on its plans of the house. otherwise when you try and sell the house, you won't get a CO. kind of like if you finish your basmeent and tell no one (save taxes). but when its time to sell, you need to produce a valid CO otherwise... no sale.
As for the insurance, God forbid there is a fire and its traced to the fireplace. You better belive they will look to see if it was properly installed, i.e. approved by the town. if not, its not covered and they won't pay. do you think they would not try that angle?

DiscoInferno said:
toolmaster said:

I had a sweep do my install (replace prefab fireplace with EPA fireplace), but neither he nor I pulled any permits and he didn't give me any sort of inspection certificate. I was not interested in engaging my county's legendary bureaucracy unnecessarily. I called my insurance company to tell them I was replacing my fireplace (came with the house, was already on the policy). The woman thought I wanted to increase my coverage by the value of the fireplace! I kept asking if they needed any sort of documentation. Always no, you've already got a fireplace on the policy. Hope she was right.
It wouldn't hurt to have her fax you this in writing on their company letterhead.

I talked to a geico homeowners agent - and they said that although the fireplace was already on the policy, it would cost $40 more to add the wood stove. Even though the wood stove is going into the fireplace. Go figure.

DiscoInferno said:
toolmaster said:

Thats geico for you.

Our insurance did not go up at all, adding the woodstove when there previously was not fireplace or stove.

Just got back from the Building Inspectors office. 55 bucks and i've got my permit. They'll come inspect it when I'm done, and I should be good to go!

Backpack09 said:
Thats geico for you.

Our insurance did not go up at all, adding the woodstove when there previously was not fireplace or stove.

Now I have a question on a separate matter. I have installed the chimney liner - that was a breeze. I'm in the process of extending the hearth out 14 inches to allow for at least 16" in front of the stove. The current hearth is a concrete slab about 10" thick. It's not over earth, I can go into my basement and see the bottom of this slab. Can I put the stove (dutchwest catalytic) on top of this without the legs on it, or do I need to use the legs?

I can answer the insurance end of things it varies state to state.
And ALWAYS get what they quote or say in writing.

toolmaster said:
Now I have a question on a separate matter. I have installed the chimney liner - that was a breeze. I'm in the process of extending the hearth out 14 inches to allow for at least 16" in front of the stove. The current hearth is a concrete slab about 10" thick. It's not over earth, I can go into my basement and see the bottom of this slab. Can I put the stove (dutchwest catalytic) on top of this without the legs on it, or do I need to use the legs?

1. The required clearance is now 18" in front of the doors, not 16" - this is a relatively recent change in the NFPA standards, and not all the stove manuals have caught up with it yet, but your inspector might or might not require it.

2. The slab is probably surrounded by framing members, and if so it's considered a combustible floor, and thus the legs (and heat shield) will be required.

Gooserider

With the added weight of the stove on there, If theres room, I would add some additional support underneath. A steel adjustable basement post or two would be nice & easy for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.