Inspections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hi, I notice that some of you who have your new stoves installed, inspected. Is this the law in all states? I am in CT and my stove store did the install and didn't mention anything about an inspection. Is this something I should have done? I have been using it since October, it is an insert with a SS liner. Thanks in advance.

Elk Im sure will help you here, but its my understanding that you should have it inspected, for safetly sake and insurance reasons, although its also usually the homeowners responsibility to take out the inspection certificate....if I were the homeowner, Id want to make sure the installer did it correctly and safely. If your house catches fire, Im wondering if the insurance co will invalidate your policy to get out of paying....(ugh....did I say that out loud?!).....because of the unapproved installation. Anyone in insurance here can throw in your 3 cents?
Now, Im certainly not a fan of the government saving me from myself, telling me what I can/cant do on my own and with my own property, but in this case, for peace of mind, Id say get it inspected.

My insurance company just asked for a copy of the contract stating that a liner was used.

I'm in CT too. My town requires stoves to be inspected by the town building inspector. The installer pulled the permit as part of his insitallation, I called the inspector and he came out, admired my house, talked about fishing, and oh yeah, visually checked clearances. Very casual. The insurance company didn't require anything from me. I simply called them , told them I had a wood stove, and they said okay, you are all set. I'm keeping the Building Inspector's signed report, just in case disaster strikes.

technically you should have a permit. There's some minimal penalty from the community for non-compliance if they ever have reason to complain. I've got a 100 yr old house and lots of stuff thats not to current code.

The bigger issue is your insurance company, and your mortgage lender. house burns down with a non-permit stove, if the insurance company refuses to pay out, you still owe the bank whatever the remainder of your mortgage is and you've got nowhere to live. That's a substantial penalty for non-compliance, although the rumor is homeowners policies payout pretty liberally. Not the sort of decision you necessarily want to make on a rumor.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.