Inspector finally showed up 1 year later

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldraven1965

Aug 22, 2010
Far Far Away Land
Installed our New Englander stove according to manual and much help from the technical support people last year.. The stove ran all last season without a glitch... We fired it up last week and it ran perfectly.... We contacted the county several times after installation to have the final inspection... They never showed up until today....The gentleman was reading the manual, clearly confused and then stated, "You installed this stove according to the Basement illustration on the manual... Since you don't have a basement, I cannot approve it..... I live in a modular home and the easiest installation was through the wall... The manual has a note next to the basement illlustration reccommending this method and does not say you cannot use this method on a modular home... BTW, the stove is approved for manufactured homes.. We have read the manual and the stove is the appropriate distancee from the walls. The piping is installed internally and externally according to the manual...

He then tells me that we have two weeks to fix the installation or to pay another permit fee to extend it until we do.... I asked about penalties, he said there were none..

We are moving to warmer climes in Feb 2012... At that point, a friend is buying the stove from us.. I am reluctant to fix an issue that is nonexistant... My husband is calling the county to complain....The inspector couldn't read a manual... A friend installed his the same way and they approved his.. He lives in a trailer in a trailer park 4 miles from me...

What a moron.(the inspector) Sorry to hear about your county having someone like that working for them. Your tax dollars at work. Anyway, I hope your husband puts a complaint in and I wish you good luck with everything.

Just contact England's Stove Works tech support and have them send you something saying that the up and out install is fine where it is.

i would not let him back into the house .he can not come in with out your permisson your moving in feb . why bother

smilejamaica said:
i would not let him back into the house .he can not come in with out your permisson your moving in feb . why bother

I agree.

Well, if something is indeed wrong with the install and you move in Feb 2012 (and selling ?), you might want to have that fixed before the house sale or you could run into issues during the sales process, which is usually uncool. There is also the reason of house fire insurance. If you have a 'documented' wrong installed pellet stove and your house burns down I am fairly sure the insurance will pay you exactly nothing....plenty a reason to bother a lot....

I am surprised you need a home inspection after a stove install ? What county/area do you live in ?

I believe you have the right to request another inspector the second time around, aside from asking the stove company you could shell out some money to get a dealer drop by have a look and declare it OK to their standards - might help convince the inspector and should not cost more than an annual inspection/clean of maybe 180 USD or so.

'The Code (of the brethren)', always a pleasure to argue with the inspectors....

Status
Not open for further replies.