Install a liner in a chimney with brick and mortar in the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be my concern as well. Good advice Kapt..

If I break the liner I was just going to fill it with hydraulic cement. Should be ok right?

geez,

just give it two whacks with the sharpened piece of rebar and a lump hammer. Anybody ever do masonry? Thats how you cut a brick in half...with a hammer, not on a wetsaw, not with a grinder, not with a sawzall, and especially not drilling it, the guy cant reach it...lets not re-invent the wheel.

OK, let the flaming come my way, I'm ready and the vodka is flowing.
Just a FYI, you may want to change your signature to to read 22' of S.S. Flex Liner, if your using duct, your using the wrong product.
As far as your advice to the OP, he may not want the thing coming down unexpectedly by just wacking away at a brick.
Have some more Vodka.

Last edited:
If I break the liner I was just going to fill it with hydraulic cement. Should be ok right?

I think you would want that top tile to remain intact. The mortar is holding it in place now so it should not move when the bricks are removed carefully. You need the tile liner above the brick chimney to anchor your SS liner, the top plate, and the cap. If it cracks you will end up having to rebuild something to support everything at the top.

When I was younger the hammer was my tool of choice, now I try to use a little finesse.

KaptJaq

Just a FYI, you may want to change your signature to to read 22' of S.S. Flex Liner, if your using duct, your using the wrong product.
As far as your advice to the OP, he may not want the thing coming down unexpectedly by just wacking away at a brick.
Have some more Vodka.

Thank you for correcting my inaccurate signature. You are sharp as a marble:), just kidding.

I hear ya on the thing coming down like a ton of bricks.......

No vodka tonight though....... red wine tonight.....hmmmmm , but the bottle is almost empty, and its one of those big bottles too....ha ha

Thank you for correcting my inaccurate signature. You are sharp as a marble:), just kidding.

I hear ya on the thing coming down like a ton of bricks.......

No vodka tonight though....... red wine tonight.....hmmmmm , but the bottle is almost empty, and its one of those big bottles too....ha ha
Just don't be mixin, that makes for riding the porcelain bus.

Heavy window weight and a rope. If your worried about the tile bust it out or pin it up. Or get someone who is licensed and can do it right. If you screw up.....

hey frankiri, just an FYI i had the same issue with mortar in my chimney, last week i went out and bought a 20 foot piece of rebar at home hardware, around 10 bucks, one thing i found is the rebar is pretty bendy so when you get it down the chimney a ways it does not have much down ward strength and always ends up glancing off the mortar. if you do get the rebar makes sure you get the 15 gauge, and also, make a small 90 degree bend at the very end of the rebar so it will not glance off the mortar. if that makes sense! :) i have a 20' exterior chimney and the 6" liner is too small for mine so i ordered a 5.5" from rockford gonna be uninsulated. seems like it will be legit

Status
Not open for further replies.