Install advice needed w/ older Jotul Series 8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russo

Oct 16, 2013
NWCT
Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster...

I picked up an older Jotul 8 in great condition for a steal off craigslist. We're not sure if wood heating is for us so we wanted to try it out before plunging into something much more expensive.

As I'm ordering the liner I realize the exhaust points up, not out the back as I assumed.
How the heck do you install a cleanout "t" in a situation like this?
Or in a case like this do you run the SS liner straight to it (or a 45° elbow) without a cleanout tee?

Space is going to be a bit tight as we're putting it inside an existing hearth for the time being...
Thanks in advance!

The flue collar should be reversible on this stove.

Capture.JPG

I totally glazed over that in my PDF, thank you for pointing it out!
Hopefully the bolts (which are currently two mounds of ash and gunk) aren't shot, I wouldn't even know where to begin to find replacements.

Jotul bolts are usually 10mm. Most good hardware stores carry metric bolts. Clean them off and squirt some PB Blaster or kroil on them and let them sit for a day.

I have the same stove,I have my pipe pointing up.I don't have a cleanout t.I have double wall pipe up to ceiling adaptor where it switches to stainless chimney.
Not far above stove I have an expandable piece of double wall,I just take pipe apart there put a bucket on the floor and clean entire chimney from inside house.straight shot from stove to top of chimney..works awesome.

thanks for the input guys! took it apart, redid most of the seals and installed it this past weekend.
what a mess, it had never been cleaned before. still need to track down new window clips and the correct window gasket, arg..

the model i have does not have an ashpan and has the honeycomb catalyst thingy in the back.
there was a whole bunch of insulation packed in almost blocking the catalyst off.. should i replace that stuff?

i ask because even with this thing closed down it seems to be eating wood and reallllllly cranking out heat.
it probably doesnt help that theres 5 holes in the floor of the stove under the bottom plate that let air in all the time..

so far so good tho, this is my first wood stove!!

Status
Not open for further replies.