Install Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wachusett

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Enviro M-55 at seasons end. Now its time to install.
I have two locations to work with. One involves removing a propane insert............not my favorite appliance.
or placing at other end of house in room "D". Hopefully my diagram is attached with the rooms identified by letter.
Room "F" is currently where propane insert is, this room is 16'x24' with vaulted ceiling 12' tall over the garage.
The rest of the rooms are the main body of the house with full basement under and second floor bedrooms over.
The house was built in 2002, R-13 walls and double pane windows. Circulation should be good, most rooms have
two doorways, also considering connecting room "S" with room "F".

Room "F" total volume = 4200 cu.ft.
Main house 36'x28'x8' = 8064 cu.ft.

I beleive either location should be OK for heating most of the first floor, however room "D" may get more heat to
the second floor. If I install here I would keep insert in room "F".

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes I will post pics when she's in!

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 293
I think that placing it where you've indicated in the corner of room "D" is a good location. The air getting blown out the front of the stove should make it's way fairly easily into rooms "K" & "L".....you might even get a little into "E", but since you don't spend much time there, it would just be a bonus.

As for removing the propane unit, I'd wait until after you've used the pellet stove for a winter. If it stays fairly warm with just pellet heat, you could remove it next spring, but you don't know if that will happen, so keep it for now for "supplemental" heat, IMO.

The M-55 seems to be a good unit....J Takeman is one of the Enviro "experts" on the forum, and he raves about it. It throws a LOT of BTU's and it's a multi-fuel, so less worries about burning "sub-par" pellets.

Good luck, and don't forget the pics!!

x2. You can get a little distribution fan to move the air from K to F and that ought to keep everything cozy. I didn't catch what kind of central heat you have, but if it is forced hot air, you can use a thermostat with a recycle feature and kick the air around once an hour. Works well on my house.

Thanks for the input. The house has a forced hot air system, burning propane.

My biggest concern with putting the stove in room "F" is the vaulted ceiling and trying to get heat out of the room.
I think burning both will function as a better means of space heating and creating essentially two heat zones.

Last week I purchased a thermostat that has a recycle function, just to filter the air a little. How long of run cycle
do you think I should have per hour. 15-20 mins.?
Was also planning a few muffin fans to create some circulation from D to K to F to S to L back to D.
As I understand things its best to move air slow and return cool air back to the stove.

Thanks again for all help, Rob.

straight out the outside wall in room K: it is more central, and provides directly adjacent openings to every other room on the 1st floor, as well as a direct path to the stairwell.

summit said:
straight out the outside wall in room K: it is more central, and provides directly adjacent openings to every other room on the 1st floor, as well as a direct path to the stairwell.

Room "K" is his kitchen....don't think that's the best area for a pellet stove. Not saying it's never been done, but I wouldn't want all the pellet dust in my kitchen, besides being burned out of there when cooking and the pellet stove is running too :ahhh: .

I think his original location is good.

oh, well, kitchen is kinda cumbersome for stove. It would be ideal, otherwise, however!

Status
Not open for further replies.