Install Approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobk

Sep 2, 2011
MN
I got my stove installed about 2 weeks ago. Called the insurance company to get it added to the policy and they said the soonest they could get here was today. He was here for about 15 minutes took a few pictures and filled out a form and said I was good to go. It seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Asked me how dry my wood was and said I should clean my chimney often. I found out he is on the Fire Department so he probably has experience with people that burn incorrectly.

trying to changed home owners policy. guy came yesterday. . measures the stove and piece of stone it sits on . worried sick what size hearth do i need?

8nrider said:
trying to changed home owners policy. guy came yesterday. . measures the stove and piece of stone it sits on . worried sick what size hearth do i need?

What does you stove manual say about the size of your hearth? Each stove is tested to find out the correct hearth size and heat shield size needed to perform safely.

I needed a minimum of 18 inches in front of the stove. I had 18 but he still recommended a little more in the case of a flying spark on a reload. He was not worried about starting a fire just making burn marks on the floor since I would be right there during that time. On either side I have 11 inches and he said that was good.

I called our guy and he didn't even need to come out. Said that since it's a new stove it's all good. SWEET!!!

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.