Install chimney in the rain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
I'm planning on doing a chimney install at my house tomorrow with my brother. It's suppose to be intermittent showers throughout the day here. Other than the obvious "the roof will be wet, be careful", is there a problem with installing a chimney in the rain? I'm concerned about making the seals on the pipe for the rain band thing above the flashing and also the flashing to the roof - is there a sealant that is fine to be applied in a moist environment?

What kind of chimney? I assume metal but is this a liner or class a?

Im sure there are some that will bond in this application, maybe others can tell. Why not do all of the indoor work while its raining and save the exterior work for a nicer day? Believe me, there is a TON of work that needs done on the interoir of the house. Once you have your ceiling support in you won't need any help, its a matter of twisting the sections together. I guess i would feel better if nothing could contaminate the roof sealent, I would wait.....

The more I think about it, I'm not going to do any work in the rain. Why risk it? (The falling off the roof I mean, kinda dangerous).

I guess I'll work on it tonight, try to get the ceiling support in, flashing in and a piece of chimney through the flashing, seal it all up and then tarp it for the rainy weather, I can finish adding the upper sections of pipe and the supports by myself or with some other helper after my brother moves to NJ.

Kinda glad I talked myself out of it...I probably would have hurt myself.

I just wish you could have changed the weather forecast . . . I'm planning on cutting wood tomorrow . . . hoping for just a mist or sporadic showers at worse.

firefighterjake said:
I just wish you could have changed the weather forecast . . . I'm planning on cutting wood tomorrow . . . hoping for just a mist or sporadic showers at worse.

I've cut wood in the rain. Not a fun job, but if you're careful (wear all your protective gear like you should anyway) and have a nice grippy pair of boots it's not too bad.

There aren't many sealants/caulks that make a good seal in wet conditions. Maybe a heat gun to dry out any residual moisture in or under the shingles might be handy to have just in case.

jeeper said:
There aren't many sealants/caulks that make a good seal in wet conditions. Maybe a heat gun to dry out any residual moisture in or under the shingles might be handy to have just in case.

Like I said, I'm just going to get done as much as possible tonight then tarp it up and call it good till the weather clears. No point in possible having a leaky install or worse, hurting myself or my brother by falling off the roof.

joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

I've cut wood in the rain. Not a fun job, but if you're careful (wear all your protective gear like you should anyway) and have a nice grippy pair of boots it's not too bad.

Yeah, tomorrow may be the day I dig out the old pair of firefighter boots which run almost all the way to my knee. Since I have a volunteer/friend that I'm bribing with food and beer I figure I might as well work while I have the time and man-power to help out.

firefighterjake said:
Yeah, tomorrow may be the day I dig out the old pair of firefighter boots which run almost all the way to my knee. Since I have a volunteer/friend that I'm bribing with food and beer I figure I might as well work while I have the time and man-power to help out.

You aren't currently a firefighter?

firefighterjake said:
Yeah, tomorrow may be the day I dig out the old pair of firefighter boots which run almost all the way to my knee.

You know, I never thought about that. I've got an old pair of Ranger leathers that are still extremely comfortable. The added height, with some Kevlar here and there and the shin protection, might not be a bad thing. Could be good wood cutting boots.

joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

Yup . . . Unity as a call firefighter and in Bangor as a Fire Prevention Officer . . . the old boots were being tossed in the trash and I grabbed them for personal use.

joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

The old boots are also fantastic for using while riding the ATV.

firefighterjake said:
joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

Yup . . . Unity as a call firefighter and in Bangor as a Fire Prevention Officer . . . the old boots were being tossed in the trash and I grabbed them for personal use.

Ah, so you are a fire fighter. I appreciate your service to the community. I have great respect for fire fighters. My grandfather was on the New Sharon Fire Department from 1965 through 2010 when he passed away at the age of 87. The last 15-20 years he was just the secretary or something though.

joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:
joecool85 said:
firefighterjake said:

Ah, so you are a fire fighter. I appreciate your service to the community. I have great respect for fire fighters. My grandfather was on the New Sharon Fire Department from 1965 through 2010 when he passed away at the age of 87. The last 15-20 years he was just the secretary or something though.

There's a bunch of us here . . . TFDChief, Colebrookman . . . I know I'm forgetting another half dozen or so . . . I think many of us naturally gravitate towards a website that preaches fire safety.

off-topic... Start my volunteer FF training in a few weeks!

Kind of on topic; Can we stop with the rain? I've had 30" of rain in the last 60 days. I haven't been able to mow the property in weeks. This is killing my fall prep.

BrowningBAR said:
Kind of on topic; Can we stop with the rain? I've had 30" of rain in the last 60 days. I haven't been able to mow the property in weeks. This is killing my fall prep.

Wow, makes the weather here look pretty good. No worries though, soon it won't be rain anymore, just snow.

joecool85 said:
BrowningBAR said:

Wow, makes the weather here look pretty good. No worries though, soon it won't be rain anymore, just snow.

Thank god it's not snow. That would be 90" - 300" inches of snow in 60 days, depending how wet the snow is.

joecool85 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Thank god it's not snow. That would be 90" - 300" inches of snow in 60 days, depending how wet the snow is.
I like snow :)

I do too. I'm not sure if I like 300" of snow though. :bug:

BrowningBAR said:

Well you said 90-300". 90" would be just 1.5" per day, totally can handle that. 300" would be 5" per day, that could be a challenge. Snow banks get awful tall at that point.

joecool85 said:
BrowningBAR said:

Well you said 90-300". 90" would be just 1.5" per day, totally can handle that. 300" would be 5" per day, that could be a challenge. Snow banks get awful tall at that point.

Snow to rain conversion has a lot of variables. It can be as low as 3" of snow per inch of rain and up to 10" of snow per inch of rain.

BrowningBAR said:
Snow to rain conversion has a lot of variables. It can be as low as 3" of snow per inch of rain and up to 10" of snow per inch of rain.

This is true, and being a weather nut I knew that. But I used the numbers you had posted. Also technically, snow can be as little as 2" per inch of rain and as much as 18" (sometimes more, but pretty rare). So really, 30" of rain could be 60" of snow all the way up to 540" of snow. Granted, the 540" would quickly compact under it's own weight to less than half of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.