Install clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barwick11

Oct 6, 2011
Southeast Michigan
We're looking to put an insert into an existing masonry fireplace. The measurement to the top of the brick arch (which *could* be taken out I suppose?) is 26". The shortest portion of the arch is 22" (at the ends). The arch is 40" wide, so that means the radius of the arch is 52" (though the center of that arch is below the hearth, but it's good to know to help calculate the height to the arch at certain distances off center.

Now, the measurement to what I think is the lintel is about 32". That's the big 4"ish piece of metal that runs horizontal across the entire 40" length of the fireplace on the inside.

Am I right to presume that bricks *could* be taken out right up to the lintel if necessary?

The reason I ask is, I was just at a place that sells inserts and installs them, and he said they can't (or won't) install an insert without at least a few inches clearance between the brick and the insert for them to get their hands into to attach the new lining pipe. I said to him "But the fireplace is 40 inches wide, couldn't they reach from the side and install?" He said "no".

My question is, why can't it be installed (besides being more of a PITA) by reaching from the open space on the side of the insert to attach the new liner? Because being an engineer it seems to me that it should be install-able if there's sufficient room to reach from the side, even if there's only a 1/4" clearance on the top to the brick.

This guy has not been to the house just going on what you are describing? Sounds like you can reach around from the side. Installers?

jatoxico said:
This guy has not been to the house just going on what you are describing? Sounds like you can reach around from the side. Installers?

Yeah, they install them for a living, so I figure if they "can't" do it, then it's going to be a nightmare for me. But if they "won't" do it because it's a PITA, then it may be possible.

Or the other alternative is to remove bricks right up to the lintel (is this possible?)

Some stoves allow you to remove the connector plate from the inside. You slide the stove in and get the liner to drop inside the stove. This requires some manipulation from the top of the chimney. When the end of the liner is hanging down inside the stove you attach the plate and pull the liner back up. Install hardware and you are done down below.

Here is a picture of my Clydesdale showing the removable vent. It can also be reversed for a steeper angle.

0002.jpg

That is one clean-burning Clydesdale!

mhrischuk said:
Some stoves allow you to remove the connector plate from the inside. You slide the stove in and get the liner to drop inside the stove. This requires some manipulation from the top of the chimney. When the end of the liner is hanging down inside the stove you attach the plate and pull the liner back up. Install hardware and you are done down below.

Here is a picture of my Clydesdale showing the removable vent. It can also be reversed for a steeper angle.

Wow, that's a great idea! Wish I thought of that and patented it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.