Install finally complete!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey All,
Been lurking and learning for some time. Used all this new knowledge to do my install myself. I have attached a few pictures of the job. I have a used Buck 91 from my Uncle. It now has a new paint job, cat, rheostat, and 8" oval ss liner . It wasn't easy but so happy to be done. Did several break in fires today, it all went pretty well, but have two more questions for you all.
1- my blower was very quiet when on low speeds but at times during my fires today it ramped up to very high speeds. It is now stuck on significantly high speeds. Does the 91 have a two stage blower. It was whisper quiet at some of my highest burn temps so not sure why it is now so powerful?
2- what temps are safe for wood mantles and surrounding trim? Probably need a heat shield, but at 600f stove temps the hottest trim board was 165f with the infrared gun. Wouldn't normally run that hot. Just baking the new paint.
Thanks for all your help!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. Except for the black pipe adjustable elbow. Lots of folks have had problems with those things coming apart hidden by the fireplace surround. Plan on a fixed stainless steel 15 or 30 degree elbow in the not too distant future. And I have never seen any of that aluminum tape that was rated for over 250 degrees. That pipe is gonna get a lot hotter than that. Keep an eye on it.

I agree with bb on both points and is that fiberglass stuffed into the damper thought?

Nice looking install. The clearance requirements are in the manual on page 8.

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.54.58 PM.png

Yes it is sorry looked more like fiberglass to me

Doesn't your 91 have a variable speed fan? Next to the fan switch, to the left, mine has a knob for the variable.

Doesn't your 91 have a variable speed fan? Next to the fan switch, to the left, mine has a knob for the variable.
Yes, but that was the piece that melted during first fires. I learned to not let it get too hot with the blower off. Got a new rheostat online for $17 and the fan is now variable again. This thing really puts out heat!

I'd have put a block off plate in, and insulated the liner. Stove looks nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.