Install Finally Finished...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a small desk fan quietly blowing in cool air at floor level would help in all aspects. If the heat is in fact coming from the backside keep your eye on it. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in about the temps your recording on the mantel.

Yeah, that is what I figured. Its strange because I was testing different parts of the wood with my IR gun and i was getting some weird readings. Underneath the wood trim, It was reading a round 120 degrees, right above the trim piece on the wood panel It was also reading 120 degrees, but on the actual piece of trim that is rounded and sticks out it read around 170 degrees. I'm not sure what is causing that temperature to spike there when it is only less than inch apart from the other areas. (see image)
My guess is that this is because there is a narrow channel of hot air coming off the top of the stove. The channel is being created by the firebrick on top of the stove. This is focusing the heat in the center. Rotate the bricks 90º and move them out to the edges of the stove top.

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
My guess is that this is because there is a narrow channel of hot air coming off the top of the stove. The channel is being created by the firebrick on top of the stove. This is focusing the heat in the center. Rotate the bricks 90º and move them out to the edges of the stove top.

Good thinking - the bricks are only there temporarily. I'l guessing the bricks are also transferring more heat to the shield since they are touching it. This weekend I am going to attach the shield to the actual lintel. Once that is complete i'll take some more readings.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.