Install Harman Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aviator79

Oct 14, 2012
Suffield, CT
I purchased a Harman Accentra pellet stove insert on craigslist. Looks like new, was just serviced and they had the tech install a new igniter because they had told them that the older ones could crack due to a design flaw or something and if that did happen they would have to pay a service fee again to have them come out or just pay the extra $100 for the part while they were servicing it. It fired right up so we agreed on $2300. He is having it professionally removed and my plan was to pick it up and install it myself. Currently I have a wood stove insert. I have to see what if any liner I have in the chimney. The quote I got is $900 to have it installed and a full liner installed. I am assuming there is no liner so if I do it myself I will have to buy a liner for however much it costs and figure out how to install it. I usually do all this stuff myself, but I came here to get some advice about install and on pellets and such. I am picking up the stove this weekend so hopefully tonight I can start to pull my old insert out.

I am still doing research on here and reading the manual. I know nothing about this stuff but I am not asking to be spoon fed. I see I will also need to get a draft meter, so hopefully I can pick one up cheap. I don’t want to end up spending as $900 to install it myself...but I am very excited about this as I won’t have to move and stack wood and get from outside all winter and get dirt all over the house (which is very important as I have a 1 year old now). Plus the fans on wood insert that is in there now are broken so I have been using two 4” desk fans and the air adjustment has been broken so it is in pretty bad shape. I am hoping with the Harman that can heat my whole house, which is probably 1200sqft not included basement (installed on 1st floor (single story house with basement).

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 596
No advice on the install, but you are in the right place! I installed my stand alone unit myself, which is a lot simpler than the insert.

Welcome and enjoy!

Bill

Reactions: aviator79
You should be able to make your own manometer for cheap. Will make my own this weekend. Venting liner not that big a deal either. Installer covering his butt for climbing onto your roof and chimney cleaning etc. Good luck. Nothing like good evening fire. Should have no problem heating 1200 sq ft.

I have the same stove, a 1900 sq ft 2-story house, the stove keeps downstairs at 74 and upstairs at 70 without breaking a sweat (no grills in the floor or additional fans to move air either)! You should be all set heating your house. My install was into a wood-frame "dog house" style bump out (which is about as easy as you can get for that stove). If your somewhat mechanically inclined and can read directions, you should not have any problem getting your liner in.

Welcome and good luck!

So I need a 4" x 20?ish (have to measure) liner. Do I need insulation? Where should I buy (if that can be discussed on here). I am looking for the best deal. Dont know that I want to buy a kit, just a liner and I will get a cap sepeartate. and if I need the insulation, wire mesth and tape and wire ties and worm gears I can get that also. Says harmon comes standard with 4" outles that connects right to 4" flex tube.

You will for sure want the liner, rain cap, top plate, cleanout tee, clamps, hi-temp silicone. Might get a better price by buying a kit. Probably also a damper block-off plate & roxul insulation to help seal it. And metallic flex tubing for the OAK. Can run the OAK up and out the chimney also, or out thru the cleanout if present. Search this forum to see a DIY block-off plate.

Others here will cite you if you don't install an appropriate AC surge protector. (protect your electronics)

You will for sure want the liner, rain cap, top plate, cleanout tee, clamps, hi-temp silicone. Might get a better price by buying a kit. Probably also a damper block-off plate & roxul insulation to help seal it. And metallic flex tubing for the OAK. Can run the OAK up and out the chimney also, or out thru the cleanout if present. Search this forum to see a DIY block-off plate.

Others here will cite you if you don't install an appropriate AC surge protector. (protect your electronics)

There is no need for a cleanout tee in this install. The liner connects to the back of the mounting cradle.
If we knew where you are located, we might be able to point you towards a liner dealer...

You can vent it like it says in the owners manual. 5' Section of 6 inch pipe through the block off plate with insulation on top of the plate. Full lining is better but not necessary. Worked fine for a season with my Accentra. I have a full liner now because I found the liner for $75. This stuff isn't as scary as people make it. As for plenty of heat. I have 2600 sq ft split that I heat from the family room downstairs. 70* downstairs 68 at the stat upstairs. It gets a little chilly in the two far bedrooms but very do able. You should have NOOO problem with the upper living level . Downstairs may be a challenge. I have a draft meter. Buy or borrow. you pay the shipping??

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 621
You can vent it like it says in the owners manual. 5' Section of 6 inch pipe through the block off plate with insulation on top of the plate. Full lining is better but not necessary. Worked fine for a season with my Accentra. I have a full liner now because I found the liner for $75. This stuff isn't as scary as people make it. As for plenty of heat. I have 2600 sq ft split that I heat from the family room downstairs. 70* downstairs 68 at the stat upstairs. It gets a little chilly in the two far bedrooms but very do able. You should have NOOO problem with the upper living level . Downstairs may be a challenge. I have a draft meter. Buy or borrow. you pay the shipping??
Liners I have found are like $200+ with no insulation...

You can vent it like it says in the owners manual. 5' Section of 6 inch pipe through the block off plate with insulation on top of the plate. Full lining is better but not necessary

I didnt find this to work at all. The Chimney size is a factor here. The larger the chimney space the quicker the gasses cool and drop right back and blown back into the house. As happened in my case . I recommend a full Liner.

I didnt find this to work at all. The Chimney size is a factor here. The larger the chimney space the quicker the gasses cool and drop right back and blown back into the house. As happened in my case . I recommend a full Liner.
Mine is a 13x13. I want to do a full liner as it will be easy. But cost of liner, insulation and 13x13 terra cotta top plate and rain cap is going to cost a lot.

OK, im just ordering a flex king pro 4" x 15' for $250 shipped. I couldnt find a coupon for www.chimneylinerdepot.com. I want to get a terra cotta 13"x13" delux cover plate and rain cap but am going to wait as the one they have is $155 + $18 shipping:
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/4601/product/Deluxe-Terra-Cotta-Top-Plate-4inX13inX13in.html
Hope to find one for less. Or I will just make one. I will have to make a steal plate. I dont think there is a flue so it should be fairly easy. I could not afford the insulation, but at least figured getting the pro would make it easy to keep clean with the smooth interior walls.

I would agree with the full liner. It isn't that hard or technical to do (unless you are afraid of the roof :) ) I waited and waited for installer to put in my first stove. Finally a month or so late they got to me! The almost blew me off that day to but I said I didn't care what time. I ended up on my roof at10pm helping the installer. I was so mad after I saw how easy it was. I could have done it with a friend no problem. They sealed the top (no Block off plate in hearth). I just ordered the OAK kit and will be redoing things before winter :)

I would agree with the full liner. It isn't that hard or technical to do (unless you are afraid of the roof :) ) I waited and waited for installer to put in my first stove. Finally a month or so late they got to me! The almost blew me off that day to but I said I didn't care what time. I ended up on my roof at10pm helping the installer. I was so mad after I saw how easy it was. I could have done it with a friend no problem. They sealed the top (no Block off plate in hearth). I just ordered the OAK kit and will be redoing things before winter :)
What is the OAK kit?
I got my top plate/rain cap ordered for $117 shipped:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn.../Chimney-Champion-Terra-Cotta-Mount-Cap-13x13
Picked stove up and got it into my garage. Will be installing once I get liner.
Going to be buying greene team for $216/ton.

My stove has a 4"full liner ( runs entire length chimney for exhaust) My chimney cap with be raised up a couple inches and vented on the sides. This way outside air can be drawn into the rest of my chimney. At the bottom ( hearth) I will have a block off plate to separate the outside air from the living space. I will use the Harman OAK kit to attach a hose from the block off plate to the intake air on the stove. The kit will make it easy to attach the hose to my insert frame.

My stove has a 4"full liner ( runs entire length chimney for exhaust) My chimney cap with be raised up a couple inches and vented on the sides. This way outside air can be drawn into the rest of my chimney. At the bottom ( hearth) I will have a block off plate to separate the outside air from the living space. I will use the Harman OAK kit to attach a hose from the block off plate to the intake air on the stove. The kit will make it easy to attach the hose to my insert frame.
OK, so the Outside Air Kit. I see. I did not plan to use one. I will have a full liner and have the top plate sealed (top plate has rain cap built in) and that is it I think (no block off plate).
More info on OAK for others here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Outside_Air_Kit_-_Why/

So should I go for Greene team at $216/ton or does it not matter and get Green Supreme at $182.51/ton.

Probably going to put this in tomorrow. About out of wood so hope to get the wood insert out and Accentra installed in one day. I may have to bring my engine lift up to get it up on the elevatet hearth.

Question is, the output of the Accentra had some sort of sealent on it. I read that I do not need anything. Or should I get some sort of adheasive? or just a 4" SS hose clamp?

Thanks.

Get some high temp silicone made for woodstoves. Some say they are not needed but the addapter there is a welded steel plate with a cylinder cut at a diagnal and welded to it. Any time you are mfg this type of thing they will never be perfectly strait or perfectly round. Even if you purchase the addapter withthe seals in it it is better to have it and seal it than run it and chase that slight smoke smell for 3 weeks because at start up something expands differently....

If you went with pipe that does not have the seals in place (like me) then get get it and while you are at is get a roll of the metal sealing tape..... Trust me you do not want to be trying to find the tiny leak in an insert after the fact.

Green team is a great pellet. There are only a few better.

get an OAK and save the money every year in lower heating costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.