Install Harman Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Green team is a great pellet. There are only a few better.

get an OAK and save the money every year in lower heating costs.

Picked up 28 bags of Greene Team for $4.20/bag with my $10 off $50 lowes coupons. Comes out to $215/ton with cost of coupons. Just have to buy 10 bags at a time. No big deal for me. Finished install last night and nice and toasty. I had to use an engine lift to get the old one out and this one in. Picked up a tub of sealent from lowes which I am glad I did. My house is so leaky I dont think I would save anything from an OAK. Maybe next year I will put one in. Would post pics but they are too big and dont have a program to resize them.

Picked up 28 bags of Greene Team for $4.20/bag with my $10 off $50 lowes coupons. Comes out to $215/ton with cost of coupons. Just have to buy 10 bags at a time. No big deal for me. Finished install last night and nice and toasty. I had to use an engine lift to get the old one out and this one in. Picked up a tub of sealent from lowes which I am glad I did. My house is so leaky I dont think I would save anything from an OAK. Maybe next year I will put one in. Would post pics but they are too big and dont have a program to resize them.

Let me ask you this. Would you cut a hole in your wall and install a computer fan to blow warm air from the inside of your house to the outside?

I ask this because no matter how drafty your house is, when you pull air out, all those little cracks MUST let more air in. So while you may have been dealing with a drafty house, those rooms where you are, say the bedroom, will have negative pressure and will pull in more cold outside air that you get to heat.

That combustion fan is moving 100 + cubic feet of air from the inside to the outside of your house every minute......

I'm not saying you can not overcome this, what I am saying is you could do alot better and run much more efficient if you have an oak...

Reactions: CtPaul and P38X2
Let me ask you this. Would you cut a hole in your wall and install a computer fan to blow warm air from the inside of your house to the outside?

I ask this because no matter how drafty your house is, when you pull air out, all those little cracks MUST let more air in. So while you may have been dealing with a drafty house, those rooms where you are, say the bedroom, will have negative pressure and will pull in more cold outside air that you get to heat.

That combustion fan is moving 100 + cubic feet of air from the inside to the outside of your house every minute......

I'm not saying you can not overcome this, what I am saying is you could do alot better and run much more efficient if you have an oak...

Hmm...So I would need a 13x13 steel plate to go in the chimney. Then would have to drill a 4" hole for exhaust and 3" for outside air intake. Pull the thing back out and install plate. Have to pull liner back up and stick it thru. What can be used as the outside air intake? I dont need an OAK, so can I just use dryer tubing?
This is why I did not install one:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Outside_Air_Kit_-_Why/

Still trying to figure out all the settings on this thing. Instructions are not clear. Going to search for more info on this. I have it running at a feed rate of 1 to 3, but it says that 4 is average. And wondering if I should but it on ROOM TEMP or STOVE TEMP. Thinking it might be more efficient to use STOVE TEMP as it says in ROOM TEMP MODE a constant fuel consumption rate is sacrificed for exact room temperature. So I am switching to STOVE TEMP and have right about med (half way between L and H), I turned feed rate to 3 and turned temp to 75 (or 5). Also have some issues of getting heat down hall to bedrooms but have no problem getting living room too hot. Tried using a fan to blow cold air from bedrooms back to living room but didnt work as well as I hoped. Im sure I will figure this all out as this thing is amazing compared to the wood insert I had in there.

Hmm...So I would need a 13x13 steel plate to go in the chimney. Then would have to drill a 4" hole for exhaust and 3" for outside air intake. Pull the thing back out and install plate. Have to pull liner back up and stick it thru. What can be used as the outside air intake? I dont need an OAK, so can I just use dryer tubing?
This is why I did not install one:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Outside_Air_Kit_-_Why/

Still trying to figure out all the settings on this thing. Instructions are not clear. Going to search for more info on this. I have it running at a feed rate of 1 to 3, but it says that 4 is average. And wondering if I should but it on ROOM TEMP or STOVE TEMP. Thinking it might be more efficient to use STOVE TEMP as it says in ROOM TEMP MODE a constant fuel consumption rate is sacrificed for exact room temperature. So I am switching to STOVE TEMP and have right about med (half way between L and H), I turned feed rate to 3 and turned temp to 75 (or 5). Also have some issues of getting heat down hall to bedrooms but have no problem getting living room too hot. Tried using a fan to blow cold air from bedrooms back to living room but didnt work as well as I hoped. Im sure I will figure this all out as this thing is amazing compared to the wood insert I had in there.

I do not know where your fireplace is but I bet it has an ash cleanout. Run your OAK through there and out...

As for settings....

Set up your room sensor in some position in the room. Set your stove on room temp and put a thermometer by the sensor. Now Set your system at 75 and run all day. I say this because you need to reach equlibrium in the house and check how that feels. Then adjust for temp. check the thermometer to see when you have reached setpoint and what that means for your feel....

Set your feed rate between 3 and 4 and let her run. In the deep winter turn her up to 4.5 The stove will control what is needed for actual feed this setting is only your high limit and really should be set based on ash production per the book. That part where you burn on high and lower your max feed rate to get between 1/2 and 1 inch of ash on the edge of the pot. That sets max feed so you are never dropping unburnt pellets into the ash pan.

Set your room temp dial to 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to full and leave it. The stove will control the distribution fan based on what is needed.

As for your other rooms turn the celing fans on low in those rooms. Often this alone will allow heat to flow in. Start there and see what you have. If you still have issues then you may need to assist in setting up an air circulation path. I found I can change the entire second floor temp of my house by 3 degrees with a little desk fan assisting in blowing across the stairwell and towards the stove.

having trouble getting the house warm today. This is certainly the coldest day we have had, but the heat coming out of the stove is just not that hot. Ive got the temp cranked and have feed at 4.5. I have been cleaning it fairly often. I know it would work better with an OAK, but even so I know I was able to crank it up before and the air coming out would be so hot I could not hold my hand in front of it. Dont want to have to turn the oil heat on but my house is 64*F.

I just read this story with much interest. It's two years later and I am in the same place as our friend in Seymour, CT. I'm selling my Vermont Casting Model 0044 wood insert and getting ready to install a Harman Accentra insert. How did this story end? I too will need to purchase a liner with insulation. Our chimney runs outside the house facing North / West, very cold.
My only question so far is the "Vented Cap" for allowing fresh air down the chimney. I've only found a couple out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.