Install help for 2800HT earthstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK0217

Oct 13, 2007
South Central Nebraska
Hi all-
Preparing to install a used 2800HT Earth Stove in our old fireplace (Thermogas Firebox is brand on tag in the old fireplace). It is a monstrous black rock faced thing 16’ wide, 8’tall; appears to be brick behind the face on room side. Plenty room for clearances. House built in the 70’s; block chimney built into garage w/tile liner aprox 11.5x11.5 OS" starts about 6.5 ' above fireplace floor, 13.5' fireplace floor to chimney top;
Brick faced chimney about 16"x36" extends above the roof ridge maybe 2 feet.
Fireplace hearth is 16" above LR floor, 1" black slate; rock face mortared onto fireplace face and below the hearth.
Hearth will extend about 19" past front of stove door.
We will put in a SS liner, have to get through that angled 6"x17" damper (which we will seal off), but mostly a straight shot up the chimney except through that with elbows or 6" flex. I am reluctant to destroy that damper assembly in case a future owner wants just the wood burner fireplace.
Q1. Manual calls for .43 k below the stove and on the hearth. How does that relate to the r values discussed in other posts? Previous install of this unit had it off the floor 3”, I can do that too if that satisfys this k requirment.
Q2. How can I check the structure below that Slate, short of removing it and looking in there, likely an impossible task?
Thanks in advance to all, I keep discovering things I didn't even know I needed to know about here. Great stuff all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.