Install of Mark II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dchance

Jan 14, 2020
MO
so after previous advise about getting a mark II and a barometric damper to control draft, I am working on installing those.
Looking at the install instructions for my HeatPro, I am looking for .02 static pressure in the plenum and .8 draft in the flu,.
I assume the Mark II is installed in the outlet before the baro. damper to measure and regulate the draft in the flu? What about getting the .02 static read in the plenum?

HeatPro, I am looking for .02 static pressure in the plenum and .8 draft in the flu,.
IIRC, I think the draft is supposed to be -0.04 to -0.06" WC? I think -0.08" is the absolute max you ever want to see...and shouldn't spend too much time there...things will get pretty hot with that much draft, let me tell ya!
Most people can't get to the 0.2" SP that they call for...I wouldn't worry about that too much...if you are getting decent heat rise across the furnace (air temp out vs air temp in) and it heats your house ok, good enough...probably worth checking it though, make sure its not too high, but most people can't even get to .2", let alone get over.

Reactions: Spanky
Ok great. yes you are correct. That .08 number is where it says a damper is then required. I plan to install one regardless.
So the Mark II is best suited to be installed as a draft reader to dial that in for optimum burn. Can I use it as a mobile to also check for the .2 SP?
Appreciate the help brenndatomu. With this unit being brand new I want to be sure the install is all good and efficient. I worry enough about burning wood in the house.

Can I use it as a mobile to also check for the .2 SP?
Yeah I'd mount it permanent on the wall or somewhere easily seen, then just leave the hose long enough to go between the stove pipe and the plenum...and to answer your earlier question, yes, the draft sample comes from between the furnace and the BD...I leave mine hooked up all the time.

Reactions: dchance and Spanky
Yeah I'd mount it permanent on the wall or somewhere easily seen, then just leave the hose long enough to go between the stove pipe and the plenum...and to answer your earlier question, yes, the draft sample comes from between the furnace and the BD...I leave mine hooked up all the time.
It did not come with any of the sensor rods or probes or whatever they're called. Are they needed?

No, you just need some metal tubing.
Use the Hearth.com search feature on setting up the Dwyer, I think you'll find it had been pretty well discussed over the years...

It did not come with any of the sensor rods or probes or whatever they're called. Are they needed?

Needed, yes. But it's just pieces of metal tubing. I picked a piece of brake line off the shelf at the local car parts place. Was somewhere around 18" long. One end in the smoke pipe, the other end I slipped the Dwyer tube over.