Install pellet burner in place of existing woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok my other thread ended up getting too long discussing in too many directions so now I have some more specific questions I figure I'll start anew.

I just purchased my first pellet burner, a reconditioned 55-TRPAH. This will most likely not be permanent, going for maximum bang for buck to hopefully not have to buy propane this year (read my 'temporary pellet burner' thread for more details on that). If I stay at this house another year and decide pellets are going to work better, I may buy a nicer/bigger unit and this one may be relocated to basement. Anyhow, replacing one of my existing stoves seems like the easiest and cheapest way to get it hooked up. I've got the hearth and the chimney and a big spot for piling plenty of pellet bags (I'll just need to run the OAK).

But I have one big question on the vent install. I hear a lot of time existing chimneys are used (I've done hours of searching on this subject). But seems to be in most all cases either pellet vent was run up the chimney, or it was hooked up to an existing class A or insulated DuraVent, etc. I lined my masonry chimney a couple years ago when I bought the Hearthstone Shelburne, It was like a 6x12 chimney I lined with 5.5" ss liner. The Tee has a 6" snout that comes through the thimble, and I have regular single wall stovepipe going to the Shelburne.

Now this would seem common, but I havent found any good descriptions of anyone that has vented into plain 6" stovepipe. Is this possible? I see many 3 or 4 inch to 6" chimney adapters like...
418QGKBMScL.jpg

^that one from Selkirk but it looks like something that is meant to plug into a masonry thimble, not stovepipe, or am I wrong?

Also adapter commonly available from DuraVent...
http://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Stove-..._sim_hi_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=17CKQJRM469X1YMZF2TR

That one is suppose to hook up to class A chimney. I've never seen class A chimney but I get that its not single wall stovepipe.

I really dont want to yank the liner that I just put in 2 years ago, but I'll do what needs to be done unless the dollars just don't add up and I'm back to drawing board on the install.

For reference, here is the stove I'm replacing:
IMG_0441-800.JPG

Basically I'd like to put the adapter on the pipe that comes through the thimble - have a shorter piece so I think I could butt the adapter flush against the thimble cover, then a 90 elbow, 36" 3" pipe + an adjustable length piece, then another 90 elbow and appliance collar. Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.