Install-pipe question #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagtec1

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2010
PA
Installing our new Hearthstone Manchester which is replacing a Lopi Leyden. Our stove pipe exits the stove vertically, to a 90* elbow, and passes through the exterior wall of our home to the chimney. The pass through (thimble as I will call it) is comprised of several layers of pipe/tubing. The inner portion is a Selkirk Metallbestos SSII stainless double wall chimney (model 6T-316), which sits in 2 additional pipes, and connects to the T piece and outside chimney.

I've attached some photos for reference.

My question is- How far into the Selkirk chimney thimble piece does my single wall black stove pipe need to go? I made a cut the other night that may have been in error, and what I have left will allow 9 1/2" of black single wall pipe to enter/penetrate into the double wall thimble piece (total depth of 19" to the vertical T area). Is this enough, or did I screw up? I cut 6 3/4" off the pipe (new stove has tighter clearances so it sits back further), but I believe the total distance that the old pipe penetrated the double wall thimble to be about 12".

Looking from inside to outside:
image1.JPG
Trim collar removed for better view, where single wall pipe enters the thimble:
image2.JPG
Double wall insulated chimney passing through 2 additional pipes.
image3.JPG
Model sticker of chimney pass through pipe.
image4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
not set up properly, the single wall should be connected to the class a with a drip less smoke adapter, dsa, or dsac

the connector pipe doesn't do inside the class a, that would make the joints backwards
the one single wall joint in the pic is backwards too

Fantastic, I paid a stove shop a whole Lotta money to install this three years ago when we had our old stove installed.

Waiting for a call back from them...I emailed some photos at their request. I'm hoping they have an adapter. I smell smoke, but I think it's from my ears.

It looks like I need a twist lock dripless pipe adapter. I'm having a difficult time finding one locally that is compatible with Selkirk. I think I can set it up the way that it was previously done, while I'm waiting for the new piece to arrive. I'm still waiting to hear back from the stove shop that did the install three years ago. Fortunately it's 65° here today. It is meant to get significantly colder over the next several days though. We've never had any problem with draft, or any issue with smoke.

Found the part locally, not exactly inexpensive though! 269aec474d0d985c0cf6e9fde31b04f6.jpg

Up and running. Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked, as now I know it's installed the proper way. 595dc82160e6928af87b4e356de20f82.jpg

Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.