Install question...8 inch rise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewStoveOwner

Dec 18, 2014
Sexsmith
My husband is installing a Princess Blaze King in our basement. The only and best location has a drop ceiling tiles...floor to ceiling tiles is 83inches. He built a bit of a hearth that is 5inches off floor. Issue is he cannot go straight up as we are going through house (not outside house with the chimney) and if he goes straight up it cuts right in front of upstairs bedrooms window. So he will only get approx 8 inch rise before he needs to do a 45 angle. See picture.
Place we bought fireplace from says this is not ideal...and he should get rid of hearth...in the same sentence says those 5 inches wont do that much difference.
One of my husbands work acquaintances that installs all the fireplaces for the houses he builds says its not problem.
As well many others say its not ideal but shouldn't be a issue.
We don't want to lose hearth...it looks nice...we also don't want to put stove anywhere else. So is it going to cause problems having only that much rise from the stove and then a elbow right away...After it makes that turn its straight up entire second floor and through attic/roof.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20141218_201428[1].jpg
    20141218_201428[1].jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 140
With a good slope and an adequate chimney above, that should be ok. It will work best with double-wall connector pipe instead of single-wall.

Please remember the stove must have 49" from stove top to ceiling. Please look at the overall height of the stove (3 Princess versions with different heights) add the 49" requirement and verify the clearance.

Thank you,
Chris

Please remember the stove must have 49" from stove top to ceiling. Please look at the overall height of the stove (3 Princess versions with different heights) add the 49" requirement and verify the clearance.

Thank you,
Chris

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean the charts say you need 72 inches from floor to ceiling...and the stove is 34 inches. Thanks

Thank you,
Chris

Is the 49' just for a alcove type install, our stove is not enclosed...its in cover of room open area...currently have 45.5 inches from top of stove to ceiling. :/

Can someone answer, getting so frustrated, we just called dealer we bought from and lady said it needed to be 6ft from TOP of stove to ceiling!!!
I get home from work at 5pm, I just installed my princess 2 weeks ago, I have the manual so I will look it up, there also might be a manual online at the BK website

I get home from work at 5pm, I just installed my princess 2 weeks ago, I have the manual so I will look it up, there also might be a manual online at the BK website

Awesome thanks, we have a manual...finally gave in and called Blaze King direct....they said there was some flack with a misprint etc in the manual...oy lol

NewStoveOwner, the requirement is regardless if it is an alcove or not. As the VP of the company, I posted this earlier as a cautionary comment.

NewStoveOwner, the requirement is regardless if it is an alcove or not. As the VP of the company, I posted this earlier as a cautionary comment.

Thank you, yes we were told this by Blaze King, and they have been good so far about helping us come up with a solution

The only thing that sticks out to me in my manual is a minimum of 36" rise from flue collar of stove before and bendsimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.