Install question re: air intake (Quadrafire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeangel

Oct 19, 2009
NE Ohio
So the stove was installed a few weeks ago in my basement by a professional. To maximize the air quality, and to avoid any problem with the air available to all heating appliances in the basement (hot water heater, main HVAC) we ran 3" flex to the exterior wall for the air intake. At the back of the stove there was some issue I had with the way the installer rigged together a reducer to go from the 3" pipe to the 2" pipe that connects to Quadrafire's air intake adapter (which had to be special ordered by the dealer who sold me the stove and took weeks to arrive). Anyway, after all that hassle, I was working over by the intake vent in my exterior wall when I notices that the 3" pipe going to the wall was freely moving around. Come to find out, at the exterior intake flange that passes from the outside grate into my basement, which is 2" diameter, the guy slide on a piece of 2" flex -- literally slide it over the flange without even screwing it or taping it down, and then simply ran that inside the 3" pipe for about six to eight inches. There is no reducer, no tape, nothing.

I know in theory this should still draw air from outside my house as long as the air pressure outside is higher than the air pressure inside my basement. But it just doesn't seem right to me after all that cost and hassle, to run the 3 inch pipe, that it should just be laid up to the hole in the wall and propped there without a sealed exit from the house.

Has anyone come across this type of air intake setup? Like I said, it seems dubious to me, and easily remedied with a coupling and a couple of clamps. However because of the way access is restricted to the flange, I'll have to do twice the amount of work to fix it as I'd like to, so if it is a legit way to do things, then I'll just leave it alone.

All opinions appreciated - Thanks!

I'm sure it will work Ok but it seems to be rather shoddy work for a professional install...

gdeangel said:
Has anyone come across this type of air intake setup?.....All opinions appreciated - Thanks!

I will say that besides the installer doing shoddy work, since the outside air inlet is only 2", there was NO REASON to put 3" in the middle between that and the stove.....it will only draw as much air as the original 2" intake will allow. The 3" serves no purpose.

IMO, take the 3" out, and make the installer come back & install 2" for the entire run....it will provide plenty of air for the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.