Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
Getting ready to do the boiler install. Right now I do not have storage, but I am planning on adding this in the near future. What would you recommend for the mixing valve and pump combination that would work for both situation? I have been looking at Danfoss mixing valve plus a circulator or using the Laddomat combination.

Thanks for your input,

Bob

Maybe you have some context in an earlier thread, but lacking that I'll give a more general answer: either should work fine as long as they're sized properly for your application. There are plenty of folks here using both (and other) approaches.

IMHO, the Danfos / circulator combination is simpler and easier to service, but less sophisticated.

I've got the Danfoss/Circ combo. Zero issues. I can't speak to the alternatives, however.

Laddomat or Termovar loading units have the low resistance check valve that is what you need for an elevated storage, gravity flow, power fail strategy, which may be a compelling feature. I was unable to find an affordable low resistance normally open electrically operated valve, or a low resistance check valve as a separate component.

Also they cram a lot of components into a small space, which could be a big advantage in some situations.

Otherwise a Danfoss/Termovar/whatever mixing valve with separate pump should do the trick nicely.

Bob, Been running with a Danfoss for four years. The only circ pump I've had is between the boiler barn and the house (Taco 0013).

Adding storage now and putting in a Laddo 80 with my storage upgrade. The Laddo will automate the boiler to storage circ. I'm keeping my Taco that will now do storage to house circ. Until you add storage I don't see the use of a loading unit like the Laddo or one of the other similar products, that BTW aren't cheap. When you add storage then is the time to decide whether to add just a pump to do the boiler to storage circ like many here do or go to the loading unit like it chose to do. I'd guess doing the loading unit was several hundred dollars more, but I wanted the brains of the Laddo to manage my boiler to storage flow for me.

I haven't read the whole post but I suppose someone else said this.

Since all the Danfoss guys are chiming in I figured someone should stick up for the Laddomat/Termovar option.

I have a Termovar on my Tarm and I like it a lot. It's easy to install and as far a service goes all the ports have isolation valves on them so you can have the whole thing pulled out in a few minutes. I think they really a simple solution. They do have the option to have a check valve in them if your storage is setup in a way that allow you to thermosyphon to in a no power situation but as far as I can tell most folks are not setup for that so they also provide a solid plug.

I would buy one again. Termovar only goes up to 1 1/4" pipe (40 or 50 KW?), the Laddomat goes up to 1 1/2" pipe for 60kw applications.

K

OK. I appreciate your advice. There's a lot to consider..

Thanks again,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.