Install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
My wife and I are currently building a house. The original plan was to put in a pellet insert, but now we are thinking that we may not put in a masonry chimney. To save money, we are looking at putting a wooden chase up to house prefab an vent pipe. Can we still use an insert? Can we have a mason build a brick alcove to place an insert in? What our options? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

From what I have been reading on this forum everybody is trying to get the heat through the whole house, If half of the people could build a house I think they might get a pellet furnace and pipe it. I know I did not answer your question. But just my 2 cents.

Look at Enviro pellet inserts they have a zero clearance kit to go around them that allow you to frame directly around the unit and vent them out the wall just like a regular stove. The M55 cast insert is one the nicest and easiest to work on in this setup as it has a roller system for quick access to the back. There is lots of good things on here about them so i don't think you could go wrong

I know of at least 3 pellet inserts off the top of my head that will work in your situation...Enviro M55 cast insert, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, and Harman Accentra. I'm sure there are others, but these are 3 of the most popular. Just look for a manufacturer that offers a "zero clearance" ability for their insert. You have to look at the technical manual (available online) for each stove to get the specifics on what is required. If you are building the house, then you can definitely build whatever is required from the get go and it will be easy. But, for sure you don't need a masonry chimney. My M55 is vented straight out the wall and then up 3' on the outside of the house. I took out my old gas fireplace and put the insert in it's place. Now I've got a lot more heat and a backup heat source in case my furnace goes out. Plus, for some reason wifes seem to really love a wood fire!
Flynfrfun

If you have a Regency dealer near by the GFI55 (Same thing as Enviro) also makes a ZC kit. No natural gas in your area?

Thanks, for your replies. My options are propane, pellet or wood. My wife doesn't want the dirt from wood in the living room. I don't want to pay the price for propane, so I am left with a pellet option. We do have both Enviro and Regency dealers here is Newfoundland, but I would like something a little smaller than the M55. Does Enviro make a zero clearance box for thier smaller inserts ie. Empress, Milan etc.

Quadra-Fire Santa Fe comes already as a ZC unit and the Classic bay needs a couple parts to make it ZC.

Eric

wallpaper79 said:
My wife and I are currently building a house. The original plan was to put in a pellet insert, but now we are thinking that we may not put in a masonry chimney. To save money, we are looking at putting a wooden chase up to house prefab an vent pipe. Can we still use an insert? Can we have a mason build a brick alcove to place an insert in? What our options? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Well I finally figured out the best way for my existing abode and since you are starting from scratch here is my suggestion if you wish.

I have a split so I built a nice LP Zero Clearance DV fireplace in the Living room with the alcove above it for the Flat Panel TV.

Then I put the noisy Pellet stove and the heavy messy pellets all in the center of the basement to provide the bulk of the heat downstairs and upstairs!!

So on really cold mornings or really cold nights, I like to sit by the fireplace and adjust the Thermostat so the gas log fire brings up the temp 1 or 2 degrees to top it off while sitting there and watching the TV. :) At that rate it will be over 5 years before I use up the 100 gallons of propane I got for $1.90 a gallon more than a year ago.

Note: All the surround sound and TV components are behind the stained glass cabinet doors so the remotes still work!!

P.S. Tell your wife there is no dirt from the DVD TV wood fire that plays either crackling wood sounds or Christmas carols

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 307
  • HeatNGlo_SL-550-TRS-Dsc.jpg
    HeatNGlo_SL-550-TRS-Dsc.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 315
Status
Not open for further replies.