Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chops67

Nov 12, 2009
S.Jersey
I plan on purchasing a wood insert. I have a 2 story colonial w/ attached 1 story garage. The chiminy (back of fireplace) is in the garage, then outside above garage roof. Is there any need to insulate liner? When I burn will the garage heat up?

Depending on the condition of the clay liner in the existing chimney, you may have to insulate to meet code either way.
If the garage is not conditioned space, insulation would help draft better by keeping the new liner you drop in warmer.
I have similar set up, cept my back of the chimney is now in my soon to be new bedroom, which at the moment has no heat. I can notice a very minor difference that while it does in now way heat the room, I can feel a very slight difference in temp while burning in the winter. Your most likely not going to notice much if any of a difference in the garage.

chops67 said:
I plan on purchasing a wood insert. I have a 2 story colonial w/ attached 1 story garage. The chiminy (back of fireplace) is in the garage, then outside above garage roof. Is there any need to insulate liner? When I burn will the garage heat up?

Unless you know for a fact that the chimney is up to NFPA 211, then you would want to insulate the liner to achieve the UL 1777 standard.

See here: http://www.aer-online.com/aerpage.phtml?page=ar-vent1

Status
Not open for further replies.