install quote rediculosly high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamisou

Feb 9, 2012
NE CT
$2250 for install and parts.
Log cabin, interior pipe straight up from the stove to the cathedral ceiling, and out the roof.
Every stove store I've visited has said it should run $1k - $1500. What do you guys think?

I've so been looking forward to getting my stove in and hooked up, but for that price I just can't afford it!

Just going by limited info' from your post, and assuming this is a straight-forward installation, just pipe up to the ceiling, through that and then chimney up a ways, that sounds high-priced to me. Unless there is something I am not seeing. Sounds very, very simple and easily done yourself, by the way. Or if you are not handy, maybe doing it with a friend who has even a modicum of handy experience. The stovepipe and chimney pipe sections lock together and everything is really obvious. You need to be aware of any guy wires/support stuff, of course, but those things are also very cut and dried. Hardest part will be measuring and cutting through the roof and ceiling. Not a big deal, though. Obviously the roof part needs to be done so no leaks show up [water leaks].

I am very handy, but am a little intimidated that my house can burn down if not done properly. I was thinking of doing it myself but cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof scares me as well.

Have you tried asking the installer? I'd expect him/her to have an answer...

My installation sounds exactly like yours (with interior single-wall, double-wall outside). I paid $1,200 labor and $1,166 parts. This included 40 miles travel distance each way. Because the roof is 12/12 pitch metal with 2-inch styrofoam insulation between the metal and the wood, the stove company brought along two guys from a roofing company to make sure it was sealed properly. It hasn't leaked a drop and draws perfectly.

This was the first quote that I received. This chimney sweep was recommended by one of the stove dealers that estimated it costing between 1k/1.5k
I think I'm going to look into doing it myself.

One option would be to order all the parts and then get a qualified contractor to install. This is pretty straight forward if you have a composition roof. Even I can do it, and I'm no carpenter. The trick is good planning and measuring carefully. Fortunately there are good parts suppliers and good instructions on how to install the pipe. For the parts, I've done well with Sean at www.dynamitebuys.com. He takes the time to be sure your order is complete and correct. DuraVent has good installation instructions here for the support box and class A part of the installation:

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L150_Apr2011.pdf

I paid $600 for labor to install the stove (icluding transporting here and bringing in the house) plus parts. My chimney system, which was all double wall or class A, averaged about $100 per foot including the zero clearance box, cap etc. So it was roughly $2100 for me. I wanted to do the safest thing for my family. But let me tell you, I would not hesitate to install a chimney system and stove myself. Giving the insurance company the name of a certified installer was kind of handy though.

Cutting a hole in the roof is very intimidating, but with good planning and proper sealing upon completion it is one of those things that is not so bad when you look back at it. Worst case scenario would still allow the roof to be repaired pretty simply.

My install(10/10/2011) was about 2800.00 with stove set in place and chimney built up from that. Straight shot through ceiling, upstairs room and roof. I, like you, am very handy and a DIY person but wanted my insurance company to see the pro's did it. DBL wall stove pipe Class A rest of the way - lifetime on everything from stove up. Roof is rather tall and steep so the bucket truck was awful handy. Building it off ladders in a DIY project would have been a pain.

I don't see $1000-1500 for parts and labor. Just the parts will be about that.

Just another contractor trying to stick it to someone. Do business elsewhere.

No, I don't see anyone sticking it to him at all.

Granted parts and labor are more expensive up here, but I paid almost more for the chimney and install than the actual stove. Parts was around $1500 and labor was close to $1000.

The install is really not that hard, but it depends on the height of the ceiling and where it exits your roof in terms of how much pipe you need above the roof line for proper clearances. When you say cathedral ceiling, I'm imagining a situation where you have the interior ceiling, insulation and then the exterior sheathing and roof. Basically, you just need to make sure that you are properly locating between the roof trusses or joists. You can look at a site like Selkirk and they have pretty good instructions for installation. Sawzall type tool would be very handy to have for this job, but really not that hard.

I was going to suggest what Begreen suggested, if you know someone or know someone who knows someone that can be there just to help you with the going through the roof part you can easily do the rest yourself.

Wow thank you everyone! I'm going to get a few more quotes before I make up my mind.
The more I think about installing it myself, the less scary it becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.