Install saga...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We have a stove, want it installed. We've been collecting, cutting/splitting wood since last year. Good luck trying to find someone in our area who will do this install if you did not purchase the stove from them. Anyway, finally found someone who was recommended from a stove shop. The guy came out today to give us a bid to install about 15' of 6" ss insulated liner and place the stove on our hearth and connect the two.

(Hold on to your socks!) Bid is $2,695.

Breakdown:

$2,000 for install
$695 for flue extension
(plus tax on all the above)

Looks like we will continue to heat with our fireplace w/blower for this winter. :(

As a sign of other prices in our area, seems like it is a standard $245-$265 just to have a pro sweep the chimney.

Shari

Ladders and me don't necessarily get along. :)

Shari

Are you anywhere near Columbus? I used a guy from there and he did a fine job and was real reasonable.

Wendell,

We are just outside of Milwaukee. If your guy is willing to travel send me his info.

Thanks!

Shari

Does the authority having jurisdiction require that it be someone certified to do the install? From what I saw watching some of my install, someone with good carpentry skills who can read directions could do the install equally well, really. If that is the case, you could very well solicit more bids than just "stove shop" bids.

$2,695.00!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell, buy me a round trip plane ticket, keep me in pizza and beer, and I'll install it for nuttin. ;)
Bet its still 1/2 that quote.

Shari,

Sounds like about $1200-$1800 too high to me. You're talking about a $400(ish) liner - and $400(ish) to install it. Call it $1000 max. after all the cutting, stubs/tees, blockoffs, cap, fittings, etc.

I'd call every mason you can find in the book. One of 'em out there works for cheap, and can do it right w/ you doing 3 things:
1 - providing more than a little supervision
2 - pulling the permits as a "self install"
3 - handling all the inspection / insurance co. nonsense

One big suggestion would be to NOT try to do this kinda thing at the peak of their busy season. Kinda tough to get a good deal when the guys ain't hungry.

Good luck to you!

Have you tried contacting local sweeps to get some other estimates . . . I would continue to ask around . . . and check in with your local fire department . . . especially if it's a career department . . . they may have guys that do it on the side or know sweeps.

Another option: http://www.csia.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.