Install stove or floors first

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman467

Aug 6, 2010
Centerville, Tennessee
I am thinking about installing an Alderlea T6 for the winter on a hearth pad with the pipe going up to my ceiling, through a support box, and out my roof. I really don't want to spend the money ($10,000) to put in new flooring right now. The room where the stove will be has carpet that is still in really good shape. What I was thinking of doing is installing the stove on the hearth pad on the carpet for now. In a few years I might come back and put in new floors, like a hardwood laminate or something. My question is this- How difficult would it be to remove the stove pipe from the top of the Alderlea T6 and move the stove out of the room when I'm ready for the new floors? I could easily just pick up the hearth pad and move it. Once I have the floor installed I would just replace the stove back to where it was and reattach the pipe. Is there any reason I couldn't do this? What would I move the Alderlea T6 with, a two wheel dolly? Would the stove pipe be able to hang in mid air while the stove is removed? Thanks for your advice.

It is super easy to remove the black pipe from inside the stove room. Most people aren't lucky enough to have a vertical flue like you describe and must remove the chimney pipe to clean it every year. Super easy. Just remove it and set it in another room. It is light weight.

Go ahead with your plan. The carpet is fine beneath the pad but be warned that you will ruin the carpet by smashing it so hard.

If its a cement floor, it should not cost more than 150 bucks to cut the carpet back installsome z-bar, and tile in the hearth area. how much is the hearth pad your looking at buying?

Depending on the size of the pad, you will undoubtedly drop some embers that'll reach the carpet and leave lots of little burns (I know I did many times in the basement.) What kind of hardwood are you looking at and how big an area to be $10K??? I just did a 200 sqft bedroom with engineered oak for about 600 bucks (installed myself). Hardwood is really easy to install either engineered or regular style, don't let anyone tell you it's some supercomplicated thing to do.

Me personally, I would pull back the carpet drop the pad, then remove more carpet around the edge of the pad to install some tiles as ember protection, butthat's just me ;)

The entire area that I would be flooring is about 1300 sq ft. The estimates that I have gotten from area flooring places has been around 10k. That is for removing the carpet, putting down floors, and quarter round trim. Pretty much everything. The material that I was looking at is a laminate that cost around 3.50 sq ft. Thanks for the ideas. I might just do the room that the stove will be in with tile and call it a hearth room. Thanks.

Put the hearth pad on the carpet install the stove. The stove pipe is easy to remove. With all the money you save by burning your stove you well have your new floor in no time.

I installed my stove before I did my floors. Good news is the learning curve with the new stove is over, and I know how far a cinder will pop or a coal can roll, so I can plan accordingly. The bad news is now I want to re-do the hearth and the floors are already installed, so I'm going to have to be real carefull.

I have to confess I didn't do my floor but had it installed. The poly is still wet and I'm more worn out from worrying about the job than from doing the work myself. If I'd known it was going to be this hard letting someone else work on my house I would have done it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.