Install Through Dog House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petejung

Sep 28, 2007
Hi everyone.

I recently "uninstalled" a Heat-N-Glo gas fireplace that was installed in my home. The front of it was flush with our family room wall, so they built a dog-house enclosure behind it for installtion&venting;.

I drywalled up the enclosure, and have a ceramic pad in front of the drywall where I intend to place my pellet stove.

I wanted to vent the stove horizontally through the dryall, and then turn 90 degrees up and vent out the roof of the dog-house. However, it looks like I need to have a cleanout installed, which is impossible to do inside the doghouse - I could never get back to it.

What's everyone's advice on how to vent through a doghouse? Should I just get two wall thimbles, and run the venting horizontally all the way through the doghouse (it's 2' deep), and then install the cleanout T and run vertically up the side of the doghouse?

Thanks for your help.

IMO you should have made the doghouse into an alcove and either put a pellet insert or stove in there. Then you could have just vented it straight horizontal out the back no problem.

If you vent vertically through the doghouse roof will the cap have enough clearance to the nearby walls?

BTW what HNG unit was in there? How old is it?

If it was just a little jut out of the wall type doghouse I would knock it off the side of the house and wall it up then the pipe can follow the profile of the house more closely.
or like JTP says put an insert in the hole....

If you intend to still utilize the dog house in the manner described you'll need to cut an access door in the dog house. There really isn't any other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.