1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Install up or down?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BBsGagrage, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBsGagrage

BBsGagrage New Member

Loc:
    NNJ
    Wondering where in the house would be better to install a pellet stove.

The house is a raised ranch/bi-level.

Would it be best in a downstairs room with the heat rising?

Or upstairs in the living area?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. edhug

edhug New Member

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    I also live in a bi-level. Im having my stove installed upstairs in the family / living room.
    Since we spend little time downstairs, I think it best to set back the downstairs themostat (oil burner),
    and hopefully enjoy a well heated upstairs. Also easier to monitor the pellet stove when its in my 'living' area.
  3. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Put it where you want the heat, it's a space heater. OTOH, placing it below will allow some heat to make it's way upstairs (don't go in expecting miracles) if you're trying the warm the entire place. Placing it upstairs will make that area warmer, but you'll get little heat down below... you have decide what you want.
  4. Fire It Up

Fire It Up New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I live in an open concept cape that is over 2000 sq feet. Since I installed my stove on the 1st floor in the open area/cathedrial ceilings, I have not had to turn the heat on in my second floor. Not once. Never. It's typically 6 degrees warmer upstairs. I have to keep my bedroom door shut to prevent heat from going in there or it is too hot sleep. Heat rises.

Not sure why I keep hearing a pellet stove being considered as a space heater. I heat my whole house with it, 2200 sq feet, and don't use my oil heat at all. I live in Central Maine.
  5. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    I'm in the same boat as you, 2 story a-frame with 3/4 finished basement. Spiral staircase through the center of the house. 2nd floor is half loft. About 2000 sqft total space about 1700 being heated. No problems with a little enviro empress heating the entire house, it does get warmer on the 2nd floor but the ceiling fan pushes the heat back down nicely. Stove is located in the basement.
  6. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Put the stove where you spend the most time if you want to get the most out of it.
  7. Scarem

Scarem New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    How does the Quadra Fire Castile handle that size house?. Is it constantly on high or burn somewhere in the middle of it's power range?
  8. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    any "stove" is a space heater. now if the "space " it heats is your whole house, so be it , it heated that "space" but like a ceramic heater , or a little portable electric heater, it heats from a single point , unlike a "furnace" which distributes heat through several points via ductwork , or a "boiler" which does the same through pipes and radiators. in essence a pellet stove or wood stove is very much like one of those little ceramic heaters on a much larger scale.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.