Q&A Install Vermont Castings Encore with 6" flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Installing a VC Encore into a 6" metalbestos flue. It's a straight run inside thru the roof--22' total. A 3.5' run of double wall pipe from stove to metalbestos start. This is a 'cathedral' ceiling rig. Question: the Vermont Castings specs give an option for the Encore to go into a 6" flue but no fireplace operation possible. A 6" pipe adaptor is available. Any problems with this? I get opinions all over for the operation of the Encore as a heater only. Thx.

Answer:

Technically Vermont Castings has approved the stove for 6" operation only when the door is closed. I personally have concerns of using this particular unit in this manner. I suggest you install 8" then you would be able to have the open fire you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.