Install wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildafire

Aug 28, 2006
Washington
Dear Sir,
I am sorry to bother but we tyring to find the answer to a really simple
question i.e. Can we isntall a wood burner in our home. Tye are still unusal
here and we dont have a chimney. Can we simply drill a hole in the wall of
our brick home and staill a woodburner and a flue? Surely theres more to it
than that?

I am sorry to ask such a daft wuestion but have been surfing for hours now
and no one seems to answer that one!

Cheers
Clarewibble

Can you be a little more specific? The simple answer is... maybe. Where do you live? What is outside the brick wall? What is above the location you want to put the hole? What kind of roof do you have? What kind of wood burner are you thinking of puting in?

Those are just a few questions that need to be answered...

What is outside the brick wall? garden! The living room wall backs onto the garden

What is above the location you want to put the hole? in the house above the living room is a bedroom. outside - nothing!

What kind of roof do you have? triangular and tiled

What kind of wood burner are you thinking of puting in? eek - uhm not sure! Would photos help?

thanks heaps!
Clare

The reason I asked where you live is that in the US (I've figured out you're not in the US) we have to install EPA certified appliances. I recommend you install one as well, as they are much cleaner burning, save you fuel, and are safer than older uncertified stoves. As far as what is outside the brick wall, If there is a gas service meter outside, you need to be away from it by at least three feet (in the US). I think garden is considered non-exposive, so you're safe. If there is a bedroom upstairs, does it have a window? Class A chimney pipe is very pretty, but it blocks the view... If your roof overhangs your house, you could be cutting into it to get the chimney up through the overhang - and tile roofs are not that fun to cut. Getting back to the beginning, the answer is leaning more toward yes than maybe... You will need the correct stove connector pipe, wall thimbles, Class A chimney with T and supports, wall straps, maybe a roof support, and a cap at the least. If you have a local hearth professional, I recommend that you visit them with either pictures or a drawing... If not, you're stuck with us... Sorry.

Dear Clare,

Good advice by Bill. If you can figure out what kind of unit you have, you could try the manufacturer's website and look up the product manual. US & Canadian manufacturers all have manuals on their websites. Even if your local building codes are different, it will give you a starting point of the type of venting installations that are possible.

Just don't start cutting holes in your wall until you have good information on what's legally required. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.