Installation 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
I bet you guys can wait until I just pick a unit and stop asking questions. Well, this time it isn't about the unit. It's about the install. Recently, I visited a stove shop and discovered that they contract their installations. I immediately thought about a post in here that referred to not doing business with a stove shop because of that practice. Does this matter?

Here is what this contracted company charges for a postive connection.

Labor: $675
6" SS Flex Pipe: ($17 ft. x 15 ft) $255
SS Flue Tile Cover: $55
High Temperature Insulation $11
High Temperature Silicone: $10
Offset/Elbow: $30-82
SS Raincap: $90-115

Would you interpret the SS Flue Tile Cover as a block off plate?

Nah. They are talking about the top plate that the rain cap attaches to.

That's what I thought. Just like Joe, I'm discovering that all stove shops don't want to install a block off plate. Would you insulate a 15 foot reline on an interior chimney?

I wouldnt unless there was an issue that warranted it. Those prices sound good. For a stove company that farms out their installs, I would make sure the stove dealer was very clear on who is responsible, all parties insured and I would only use an installer that came with references and that was NFI certified.

Hope you know that the declaration only has one side. ;-P

It does not matter if a stove shop subs out the install or if you contract directly with them. The bottom line is the contractor doing the work - are they any good?

If they have not heard of a block off plate, tell them what it is and have them install one. All it is is cutting some metal with some snips, some high temp silicone and some screws.

Budman, 2 sides are getting bricked in. The whole story is on another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.