Installation and Clearance Questions for Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
My first time on the Pellet Stove side of the house!

I am hoping to install an Englander 25-PDVC on an existing brick hearth which already has a vent hole running through the exterior wall. I need the "high altitude" 4" vent kit for the installation since the stove will be at about 5200 feet. The blue "x" on the wall in the pictures show the location of the current hole in the wall that I would like to vent through. I had a couple of install questions:

1. The room where this stove is to be located is underground by about two feet. (in other words, the blue "x" that marks the vent hole you see in the photos is about 2' above ground on the outside of the wall and about 4' above ground on the inside of the wall). Would you consider this to be a "basement" installation? It seems from the installation instructions that there are a lot more things to worry about and consider with "basement" installations.

2. The stove installation manual states "Never terminate the end vent under a deck, in an alcove, under a window, or between windows." Otherwise, it doesn't give clearances for the exterior chimney pipe. I am planning to use Simpson Duravent AC3100 kit for the chimney, but haven't been able to find much on the Internet about clearances for that kit. My concern, as you see from the pictures, is the redwood deck and deck covering that is near the exit point. Will the chimney be too close to the deck covering if I use this chimney and terminate it under the deck covering? (For a distance reference, the closest post of the redwood deck covering is about 30" from the exterior wall. The top of the deck covering is about 8' from the ground).

Thanks!
Bill

Attachments

• Cabin 035.jpg
    Cabin 035.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Cabin 036.jpg
    Cabin 036.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 672
  • Cabin 037.jpg
    Cabin 037.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Cabin 039.jpg
    Cabin 039.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 564
  • Cabin 040.jpg
    Cabin 040.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Cabin 041.jpg
    Cabin 041.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 387
  • Cabin 042.jpg
    Cabin 042.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 380
Yes that is considered a basement install from everything I've read.

You can call ESW or PM stoveguy2esw and ask Mike Holton.

Mike might even drop by here making his rounds.

I looked a little more at the "basement" install and doesn't seem like it is really a big deal with my installation. The OAK will be easy based on the configuration in the room.

As far as for the clearances, thank you Smoke Show for the link. It seems that I should be fine with redwood deck covering, but this isn't covered specifically.

Is there anyone with experience with this type of situation who can give me their opinion on whether the redwood deck covering is too close to where the vent will exit?

Thanks!
Bill

I hate to say it, but you should probably check with your code enforcer.

The problem is the smoke is going to go somewhere - and the deck will get sooty over time. Then you have windows on both sides of the corner - maybe not within the 48" clearance requirement but still close.
If it were me I'd consider running the vent as high as possible where the wind will disperse it.
Not to mention - once it snows - unless you get the vent up high - the snow all around will be a nice blackish/brownish color.

If the wall and deck getting sooty doesn't bother you - then I do not see an issue with venting it where you marked off.
Make sure you have a working CO detector with fresh batteries :)

Or have the inspector take a look...maybe he will recommend a $5k masonry chimney - maybe not.

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.