Installation Challenges in a Cape Cod Breezeway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambx

Jan 10, 2011
Southern Connecticut
First poster here - great site with loads of info so I felt there would be some great feedback from the forum experts on trying to integrate a free standing stove in my home. The house is a Cape Cod style with a attached 2 story salt box garage - I just purchased a Woodstock Fireview for the main part of the house (fireplace location) however we have two rooms open to one another - the Kitchen 13x15 and Breezy-way 13x14 with 11 foot cathedral ceilings and I would like to supplement our base board heat not to mention we really like the idea of a stove in the area. We plan to use it weekends and nights where as the Woodstock will be used more frequently.

We would like to install the stove in the corner of the breezeway (the breezeway lies between the main house and the garage). As you can see there are a few obstacles to get around (beam / sky light).

In one of the picture’s you will see two chairs that flank a table - the table is where we want the stove to reside (at this time we are looking at a Jotul 602). we would like the stove pipe come out of the stove (5 inches) and either go straight up into the “cathedral ceiling†or possible out the back of the wall.

The challenge I see in going straight up is there that there is a ceiling beam that crosses the room and resides right next to a sky light. The distance between the wall and the beam is 16 inches. So I assume the pipe would have to be located in the middle of the beam and wall - it would also have to pass next to the flashing of the sky light. With the width of double walled 6 inch I will not get the required distance - does 5 inch double walled pipe exist?.. The sky light in the ceiling is approximately 20~22 inches from the wall.

It maybe possible to install the pipe out the side wall (behind the stove above the c1750 sign) passing between the window and the corner beam but there is only 12 inches between the two (is that enough for a thimble? I would have to cut back the trellis support from the house and install a beam into the ground to go this route.

If I used either of these methods I would still have to offset the pipe to get past the overhang / soffit and gutter and with these installs the pipe is riding along the non-gable end of the salt box and terminating 2 feet past the roof ridge. I Photoshoped the pipe running along the outside of the house and it really does not look right - we really would like as minimal an impact to the lines as possible.

So my third idea was that on the other side of the interior wall (behind the mirror) is a stairwell that go up to my fathers apartment (over the garage) - would it be possible to run the pipe through this wall and up the stair area - this way the pipe resides on the inside of the house, terminate through the roof so it never impacts the outside lines of the house.

The only drawback with this idea is I would have to use 2 90 elbows and 2 22.5 elbows.

Any comments on trying to get a install in the location would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 326
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Pic 7.jpg
    Pic 7.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Pic 9.jpg
    Pic 9.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Copy of P1010225.jpg
    Copy of P1010225.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 314
  • pic 11.jpg
    pic 11.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Copy of P1010225a.jpg
    Copy of P1010225a.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Copy of P1010217a.jpg
    Copy of P1010217a.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 290
It's a tiny space with a lot going on in there. I would pass on putting in a stove, unless it was a little gas or electric stove.

BeGreen said:
It's a tiny space with a lot going on in there. I would pass on putting in a stove, unless it was a little gas or electric stove.

Well the room is 13x13 with 12 foot cathedral ceilings and its open to the 12x15 kitchen. The breezway also sits on a slab so that does not help either.

I fully agree there is a lot going on and was hoping there were a few other ideas before I throw in the towel. I think it would be do'able if a double walled 5 inch pipe was avaiable but I dont think it exsists....

Well it's not impossible, but challenging because of all the windows. However, by changing the room arrangement, maybe. If the chair with the dog on it was moved to the corner with the little table and the stove was set more centered between the skylights, then maybe. I'd consider a small, shallow convection stove with great side and rear clearances. Maybe look at a small Morso 1440 for that location?

okay while you got some challenges, im not sure its out of the question.
I would ask you why in that location? not the main house, more time spent etc.
Seems as if the breezeway thing would leak heat like a seive.
My guess, purely a guess, your going to have to keep that stove away from the walls maybe more then you planned, in such a small space, could be a hindrance. but if that room is somewhat tight, you could cook yourself right out of there.
I think the heat would be difficult to distribute. maybe a ceiling fan would help keep the heat down, maybe move it to another room, you mentioned a kitchen nearby.

My preference is to have the chimney come out of the roof, makes the house look more mechanical, yet clean. I have seen someone by me who has an exposed chimney going up the side of his house. they actually went through the soffit and roof that way, was a nice and clean looking install.

BeGreen said:
Well it's not impossible, but challenging because of all the windows. However, by changing the room arrangement, maybe. If the chair with the dog on it was moved to the corner with the little table and the stove was set more centered between the skylights, then maybe. I'd consider a small, shallow convection stove with great side and rear clearances. Maybe look at a small Morso 1440 for that location?

Yes - although we really did not want to change the room layout but if we did the pipe now will be in the middle of the roof of the little breezeway and have to extend up beyond the saltbox peak - from the outside it would be far from perfect - I really wanted to try and hide the pipe as best I could but get decent performance - the idea of it going through the salt-box roof just looks so much better.

I remodeled this house and have replaced all windows and installation so its pretty tight (be it its this room is on a slab) - it always feels cool. I have base board heat all around so again it is a supplement and ambiance. There is also a dual head ceiling fan so heat distribution would be good.

BTW, I did look at the squirrel - what a neat unit however 12 inch logs seem to be more of a hassle - with the fireview on its way I wanted to be consistent with my wood. We really like the 602 - narrow and it just fit so nicely between the chairs. With a heatshield it can be 9 inches from the wall corner to corner. So for clearances we should be good.

It is looking more and more like this maybe a no-go - bummer.

602 is quite a radiator from the sides. No furniture or any combustible within 21" of either side, and Id take that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.