Installation Issue - Big Trouble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's start by stating I live in MA. I have purchased but do not have a Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 F/S system it is in stock at my dealer and he is holding it for me paid in full of course. Installation is on the first floor and the question is:

Venting instructions on the CB1200 (page 10) state "Distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or ventilation air inlets into buildings:
a. Not less than 48 inches below;
b. Not less than 48 inches horizontally from;
c. Not less than 12 inches above.

My problem is that I have exactly 96" from corner to corner of windows that open, the window that the room will be in has a measurement of 54" from opening corner of window to wall, dealer states I need 57" minimum. Am I screwed or what.

Now looking at Harman venting instructions they state the above, but mention (page 19 Harman Accentra Manual) "With outside air installed, the clearances are 18" to the side and below and 9" above."

What exactly is "outside air installed" meaning? And could I use the same venting with the CB vs the Accentra? I hate to ask the dealer he seems to be so busy that he hasn't got time for these types of questions.

And according to my towns building inspector he looks at the unit after installation with manual, I would show him both manuals and refer to this so called "outside air installed" situation for approval and the insurance companies approval also.

I cannot move the stove to a different location as I just did the floor over in hardwood and installed tile into the corner where the stove is to go.

Thanks for the help, ASAP.............!

Outside air is when you pull the air for the stove directly from outside via an extra tube and hole in the wall. Otherwise the stove pulls from in the house.

I did not really understand anything you said about the windows except that it seems you think you don't have enough room to meet clearances. Quad has told me you can reduce the window clearances by using the outside air kit, but they do not have it in their manuals except for the Mt Vernon AE. Maybe you dealer could get an official statement from Quad that could be included with your manual to list the clearances with the outside air kit.

The outside air kit allows you to be closer to the windows than the 48" mentioned.

Somehwere here is the code and link. Basically you have a sealed combustion appliance and the NFFPA? 211 code allows you to be within 12" if your under 50K BTU

THe outside kit is simply a hose with a vent like a drier and it brings outside air supply to the stove for combustion. On most stoves there is a knock out to attach to the stove. Generally they are a good idea IMHO because they prevent neg pressure in the home from the stove, hence you arent sucking warm air into the stove and cold air from leaks in the house to make up for the combustion air. Downside is you have two penetrations through your walls for the stove. Harman makes a wall thimble with the provisions built in so you wont have two holes.

I have a P68 on order if I ever get it and that is the route I will go for the install.

Others here will chime in on this issue I am sure.

I went a bit crazy trying to figure if I met clearance for various stoves and inserts while I was shopping and researching. I did on some models with room to spare, and others no way, while some I needed a deflector to meet minimums. I was pretty disappointed on some of the ones I couldn't meet without a major rebuild of the hearth or mantel.

Every stove shop emphatically told me that what you install by is the owner's manual for the particular unit you are installing because that is what the town inspector and insurance agent are going to look at to decide if it was installed properly and if they will grant the permit or pay a claim if an unfortunate incident occurs and you need them to honor your insurance coverage. You can not mix and match owner's manuals and stoves.

Personally, I would not install a unit if I was off even a half an inch on the clearances, even if the installer was willing to overlook it, and some did offer to do so. You do not want to give the insurance company any reason not to rebuild you 100% if you burn it down to the ground. In the end, it would be you who was homeless, or worse, not the installer who sold an extra stove.

This is just my newbie two cents worth based on what I've been told. Please get your inspector and insurance agent to OK your plans before you proceed.

Best of luck with the project.

TurboZ said:
Harman makes a wall thimble with the provisions built in so you wont have two holes.

Is it "Harman" that makes that? I saw one in a stove shop last year...

Looks like Simpson makes one, as well...although the simpson one kind of looks like there are still 2 holes. let me see if I can find a link...

here, found this: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=711

a plain outside air kit is only 30-something bucks...being cheap, I might just do that.

There are two ways to install the outside air kit on a Harman XXV noted in the owner's manual - one uses part number 1-10-08542 and one uses the wall pass through part number 1-00-677077.

I will see if I can find the link...

I had the same problem as my house goes 4ft and then window, 4 ft then window on all my walls. My dealer said for me to get the St Croix Afton Bay as they have the outside air kit and make the clearance less... I got the last Afton Bay for the year from there store (in stock)... I am gonna check right now to make sure it's in the manual so I won't have problems with the building inspecter...

Debi

Status
Not open for further replies.