Installation near a glass sliding door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
I'm planning on installing my pellet stove in the corner of my basement next to my glass sliding door. It will be angled into the corner. The slider is in the corner. One side is poured concrete the other the slider fits into. Recommended clearance on the back corner of my stove is 2 inches from combustibles. I plan on being at least 8 inches probally more like a foot from the back corner of the stove to the door. I dont think this will be an issue but was wondering if anyone had thoughts? The stove not be near the actual door opening but on the non sliding side of the door.

Curtains or blinds may be an issue, if you plan to have any. They will need to pull away from the stove toward the door opening. Even then, there is a potential problem of them blowing into your stove when the door is opened with the curtain closed.

I have mine next to one and its not a problem. Just make sure if ther is light switch, its not on side of door where stove is being placed.

Mine is in a corner with glass on each side. There is a sliding glass door about six feet away on the left and a sliding widow right next to the stove on the right.
I just followed the manufacturers clearances for a corner installation. It vents directly above the stove, through the ceiling. The glass never even gets warm to the touch.

Pelletstove.jpg

Dave

do you have much heat loss in that setup or is it so non detectable that it doesnt matter?

Where is the chimney for it, through a glass panel?

DneprDave said:
Mine is in a corner with glass on each side. There is a sliding glass door about six feet away on the left and a sliding widow right next to the stove on the right.
I just followed the manufacturers clearances for a corner installation. It vents directly above the stove, through the ceiling. The glass never even gets warm to the touch.

Pelletstove.jpg

Dave

The chimney goes straight up through the ceiling, it's hard to see in the photo. The natural draft is very good.

It is installed on a 400 square foot enclosed porch. That space was unusable in the winter and plants we keep out there would sometimes freeze. The pellet stove keeps it at a comfortable 65 degrees on the lowest settings.

We often leave the door to the house open and the oil furnace runs much much less, with the pellet stove's help.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.