Installation of new FPX 36 Elite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcrum

Jul 13, 2010
SC
I've bought an FPX 36 Elite for my new house under construction, and I'm trying to work out the best way to install it. The location will be basically in the center of my new great room wall. In order to get the twin 6" cool-air pipes installed, I think I'm going to need to pull the air from attic space. They would need to be about 15-18 feet vertical length to reach outside air. Are there any major concerns will venting these to attic space? Any concerns with running farther vertically to get outside air? Which is the best choice?

And the blower: I think I can fit the blower box in the outside wall between 2 floor joists, if I mount it sideways. I have about 14" across, and the height is supposed to be 13". I've got about 12" of height above the plate, and the box is supposed to be 11 3/8" "wide". Any problem with mounting it on its side? In addition, I think I'll need to use 8" pipe because it's going to need to run about 20 feet from the blower box to the bottom of the stove, with an elbow to direct it up into the stove. I hope the point of connection on the bottom of the stove is in the middle. That will work, I think. Should I transition to 6" before the elbow, or should I put in 8" until I'm right at the bottom of the box?

Has anyone put the blower in the middle of the pipeline, instead of on the outside wall? It would be nice if the blower were just hanging on the basement ceiling, with an 8" pipe pulling outside air into the blower, and another 8" pipe pushing the air into the stove. Then I wouldn't have to try to fit the box into the outside wall. Is there any reason not to just build a plenum to do this? I could put some kind of simple filter in the inlet pipe, I think.

I don't actually have the unit yet, but will probably pick it up within a week or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

JR welcome to Hearth.com! Late reply, not sure if you have already found your answers.

Travis says it is OK to draw air for the cooling vents from a ventilated attic if your local codes permit. The max vertical rise for the cooling intake is 10' and at that height you can only run horizontal for up to 5'

For the blower on a longer run....I would use the 8" as far as you can, just below the unit to transition to 6" sounds good.

I can see no reason installing the blower mid pipe would not work. You may want to call Travis for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.