Installation over non-flush brick face

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity

Jan 4, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hello -

I am planning my installation of a woodburner.
I would like to get advice from the masters here on the site on how to approach this situation.

As you see in the photo, I have an opening that is 25.75" high and 39.75" wide.
The problem is the brick above the opening is "proud" of the brick on the left and right of the opening. It is proud by 2.75". So, it won't be a trivial matter of just laying the surround frame onto the brick.

What are some approaches to installing in this situation?
Are there particular woodburning inserts that come to mind that would work well?
Other products or tricks?

I suppose I could "create" a flat and flush face by installing brick that was 2.75" thick and 6.50" wide on the left and right...but I would rather not since this is not exactly your typical brick.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Installation over non-flush brick face
    AJMFirePlace2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 161
What insert are you installing? Some surrounds are adjustable or at least easily modified to fit. Were there fireplace doors before?

What insert are you installing? Some surrounds are adjustable or at least easily modified to fit. Were there fireplace doors before?

I haven't chosen an insert, yet.
My sense was my choices would be somewhat narrowed by this installation idiosyncrasy.
There are no signs of prior fireplace doors. But that was an interesting question.

It depends on the surround some can be trimmed some cannot. It you cant trim it you either need to live with the gap on the sides or make some extensions out of sheet metal.

Can you recommend specific models?
I would recommend just picking an insert that you like and that fits your opening and needs. Then figure out that trim afterwards it is not a big deal at all
worst case scenario you have gaps on the sides that no one will ever notice. But some strips of metal painted to match the surround are not hard to make

My understanding is that gaps on the sides violated building codes?
nope modern inserts all now need to be attached to a liner so there is no longer a need for a seal at the trim plate. And with a good install there is a sealed block off plate to keep any air from going up the chimney around that liner. Now your wife that is a different story. But honestly the gap will not be noticeable and if it is you just need to cut some strips of metal.

I have worked and lived in many places in the US. Every medium town I have lived has had metal fabricators. Worst case...make something custom. It might not be as much money as you would think.

I've read of a few people with inserts pulling them out a bit to allow better heat transfer into the room, so if it does 'poke out' a bit it would seem that may work somewhat to your advantage

My recommendation would be to find an insert that fits the hole, do an insulated liner and the worry about the surround. The surround is purely aesthetic so you may be able to modify the one that come with the insert or have one made. If you pick the insert based on the surround you may not be happy. The only caveat is that cast iron stoves and surrounds are beautiful but cannot be easily modified so unless you can find one that fits I would stick with steel.

I would consider getting/installing the insert without the surround, but with a damper sealing block-off plate.

The depth of the hearth would be more of a concern to me.....that is not as easily fixed. Do you have enough clearance there? As others have said, some sheet metal trim will fix the gap on the sides.

Many manufacturers offer a blank large surround that can be trimmed easily enough with a grinder. I would look to one of those. FPX and Lopi are examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.