Installation, Pipe, Cleaning Insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevie73

Nov 27, 2009
Fleetwood, NY
www.myspace.com
Im thinking of purchasing a Breckwell sonora P23 Insert and I wanted to install it
myself. Im going to be placing it into my preexisting chimney. I have so many questions I dont know where to start.

Any answers to my questions, would be greatly appreciative!

How in the world do you tighten and seal the pipes
before it goes up into the flue?

Do you have to tilt the unit to get inside?

what's the difference between 5ft and 10ft when in comes to
installation?

Has anyone not vented all the way to the top of the chimney, had any problems with moisture when they pull it out to empty the exhaust because of the ash?

Im getting so many different answers and Im totally confused.

If you had vented to the top, did you switch to the 4inch piping?

I hear about siliconing it but then if you do that, how do you get it out each time when you have to empty it?

Has anyone done 10 foot runs and are fine with it?

Do you clean the exhaust pipe and how many feet did you attach?

Im getting so many different answers about this and its confusing to say the last. One man said he cleans his insert everyday. While another says he doesnt need to.

Again thank you all!

Selly

I have two inserts but they are Quads. Shouldn't make a difference on installation though. You want to use 3" flexible pipe for your chimney 'reline', not rigid stuff. You can get it in 25' and shorter lengths. Flex makes it also a LOT easier to get past the smoke shelf and hook it to your stove. To terminate at the top, you can get a kit consisting of a flat piece of Stainless, a short 'nipple' to hook the flex to, a rain collar and a top cap. Seal the plate to the top of your flue liner with silicone. My chimney's used 17' of 3" and have no problems with draft. It's a straight shot with no elbows except the slow curve around the smoke shelf. If your run is only 10 feet, you sure don''t need 4"!
Don't screw around trying to terminate just above the smoke shelf and then sealing it off with a plate. It's just easier to run all the way out the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.