Installation Price - Currently in Negotiations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Breckwell p23i which is just about the only insert that will fit my prefab fireplace. I've received the quote from the dealer but what left a sour taste in my mouth is that they want $570 for the install PLUS another $250 for a sub contractor to put the liner in. $820 for the install. I almost fell out of the chair. I previously had another dealer ready to install a Lopi Yankee Bay until they realized it would not fit and their total install price was $500. This is a deal breaker in my book as I'll pay the $570 but will not budge on the $250 for the sub contractor.

What have other experienced in their installs? I'm sure prices will vary but when one dealer will do it for $500 (and I had another who said their install would be $450), $820 seems very unreasonable.

Assuming you will not self install, I would want the seller and installer to be the same person should problems arise down the road. Lowest price may not always be the best in the long run. A dealer that sells, installs, stocks parts and services that has been around for a while is worth a premium. Using a subcontractor would make me wonder.

Labor and installation charges run around $450-$550. There are also the parts needed for the installation which includes your piping, brackets, etc.. unless you are supplying that. You mention that you need a liner for the insert, you can't really hold that against the installer/dealer. I have a freestanding stove and had to put down a hearth for that, I could have went cheap for $60 or so, but I built my own, which came in around $125. I didn't charge myself labor. So the costs that you have are not that out of whack, if the numbers include the piping. Basic installation for mine was $450, not including the piping for exhaust. Hope this helps.

Those numbers are strictly for labor. There's another $589 for a 35' liner, $70 for a 90 degree elbow and $37 for a 3" to 4" increaser. With that said, $820 for the install is way out of range in my opinion.

an average Pellet insert install for a one story home with a 20' chimney is about $900 total with a full reline and chase cap.
if you are running over 25 feet I would make sure they use 4 inch pipe and that is going to drive up the price.
So I dont think they are out of whack
you want to compair apple to apples.
was the first quote for a FULL RELINE? Was it with 3" or 4" pipe
was a chase cap or top plate included
were they going to clean the chimney and firbox? if not it MUST be cleaned because any soot will be blown into your home.

There is a lot more to installing a stove than just putting a liner down and connecting it up
Chimney and firebox need to be cleaned.
Liner ran down.
Damper blocked off.
The stove has to be set up and leveled
Panels put on.
Seal up the top of the chimeny with a chase cap or plate
Stove adjusted and made sure everything is working.

See the sticky notes about what to know about an install. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13841/

swimman said:
Those numbers are strictly for labor. There's another $589 for a 35' liner, $70 for a 90 degree elbow and $37 for a 3" to 4" increaser. With that said, $820 for the install is way out of range in my opinion.

Looks about right to me?
why the 90 deg.
I thought Breckwell had a top outlet on inserts.
and if not MAKE SURE THEY USE A T clean out

The p23i is vented out the back. Therefore the 90 and there is limited space between the back wall and the exhaust port.

Here is what was quote to clear up the confusion -
-$589 for a 35' 4" liner complete
-$570 stove install
-$250 liner install
-$70 90 degree
-$37 3" to 4" increaser

I'm strictly comparing install prices with no other products included so it is apples to apples.

I have already cleaned the flue and firebox. Everything is set. I would do it myself if it wasn't the middle of winter!!

Good advice about the clean out T.

Perhaps if you haven't already made the purchase it would be cost effective to heat with whatever you are using now, shop around for better prices on everything you need and plan on a spring/summer self install. $820.00 goes a long way toward any kind of heating fuel.

When I was stove shopping in the summer the install rates ran from $750.00 to $1000.00 plus the cost of the pipe. My install was fairly simple through the wall though the wall was 14 inches of stone. To me the install price was a bit high and out of my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.