Installation question: type of pipe for hearth install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
The place I bought my stove at will be installing my stove tomorrow. It's a hearth install, so rear exit from the stove, 90 degree turn then straight up 25' of chimney. They plan on running 25' of pipe, and I'm almost 100% sure it's single wall pipe. I know this would be a bad idea if the pipe was exposed. Is it ok to do with the chimney providing additional insulation from cooling too much as the exhaust rises? I'm worried about creosote and how the draft is going to behave.

Has the flue been cleaned and inspected? Does the chimney already hae a tile liner in it or is it just brick lined? Is this an interior or exterior pipe?

BeGreen said:
Has the flue been cleaned and inspected? Does the chimney already hae a tile liner in it or is it just brick lined? Is this an interior or exterior pipe?

Yes, it was just cleaned and inspected this month. I have no idea if the chimney is already lined, but if it help answer that, the oil furnace also exhausts through the chimney and there are two caps from separate exits at the top.

I don't follow the question regarding the pipe. Are you asking about the pipe itself being rated for exterior or interior use? That I don't know.

Should have mentioned: there's already a stove in the location the new one is going into. It's an old VC Resolute that burned coal for a number of years. That install is about 25 years old however.

Status
Not open for further replies.