Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulski

Sep 4, 2008
Eatern Long Island
Hello all, I will be installing my stove from start to finish and have a few questions.
I was raised with a wood stove and have fed them and cleaned them, but not installed one, yet. I am handy but fire concerns me.
I will be building a hearth pad out of brick or stone of some sort and the wall behind the stove out of the same material. I have purchased the flew pipe and am 99% on that but my father mentioned to me an airspace between the brick wall I will build and the fireproof drywall (cement backer board). Am I supposed to build this fireproof masonary wall with an airspace between it and the wall itself? Did I explain that correctly?

The manufacturer of your stove will specify in detail what the minimum acceptable clearances from the nearest combustible materials are all around your particular stove model. Also the required insulative protection required in the hearth (between the stove and the nearest combustible material beneath). If you want to install the stove closer, say, to the rear wall than the minimum required distance, then you can install a properly constructed heat shield behind the stove. The materials from which such a shield is constructed determine how much of a reduction in clearance is allowed. The most effective types of heat shields are mounted using spacers such that a 1" naturally ventilated airspace is established between the shield and the wall being shielded. There are a number of ways this can be accomplished, and lots of previous discussions here about every aspect of stove installation. Here's some info to get you started:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

Rick

It would help to know the stove model and what distance from the wall the back of the stove will be. Also, what's behind the brick wall - conventional wood stud construction? You may be ok or you may need the airspace. It depends on the stove and installation. Rick has a brick back wall in his workshop and can guide you through the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.