Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlsd1125

Oct 2, 2008
western CT
I'm getting ready to install my Mt. Vernon AE and I have a question about the length of Pipe going through the thimble. The clearance for the back of my stove is a minimum 2" to the wall. I am looking to put it at about 3 to 4" just to be cautious. My wall is only 4"-5" thick and would like to use a 6" piece of vent pipe to attach to the adapter and then through the wall to the tee and up. In order to do this the seam where the adapter connects to the pipe will be about a 1/4" outside and actually part of the adapter (which is inside the 6" piece of pipe) will be inside the thimble. I a wondering if this set up will be ok. I remember reading somewhere that you should not have seams inside the thimble and the outside adapter seam won't be but the seam inside the 6" pipe will be. I could use 12" pipe but I am trying to keep the stove as close to the wall as possible and 12" pipe will put the outside venting to far away from the side of the house. I am using pellet vent pro pipe. Any suggestions would be geatly appreciated.

I have seen adjustable 12" length(adjusts 4"-10") for the pellet vent pro pipe, not sure if this will help.

don't use the adaptor. instead, on the 12" pipe cut the outer pipe (on the stove end) back to reveal about 1" of the inner pipe (effectively making it a 12" long adaptor).
Oh, a 12" adjustable length wont help here because it needs another piece to telescope against.

Status
Not open for further replies.