Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Now that I am on the cusp of buying an additional pellet stove I thought I should figure out my install first.

I would like to install it into a existing masonry chimney. The chimney was paired with a coal stove but for the past few years it has vented a propane space heater. One stove dealer told me I would have to run a flexible pipe through the chimney. Another told me as long as I had a good seal from the 3" pellet exhaust to the chimney utilizing a thimble adapter I wouldn't need to run a liner. What do you guys suggest? I am attaching a pic.

Attachments

• lp stove.jpg
    lp stove.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 269
Whoa, no responses? Did the ugly green carpet in the photo scare everyone away? Don't worry oits been replaced. Does anyone have the correct insight on how to install a pellet stove in this application?

You will have to wait for the installers to see your post, but I checked my QF manual and it says nothing about sleeving the chimney IF it is in good condition and 6" diameter. If you have a model picked out, download the manual and it will most likely tell you.

Duravent has adapters for the 6 or 8 inch pipe. Adapts to 3 or 4 inch Pelletvent and Pelletvent Pro. But if it is a square flue mason chimney, I think the recommend the flex liner to the top and install it with a cap.

More details?

as long as the chimney is in good condition you can use it. How ever i would recommend doing a complete reline easier to clean and less chance of a down draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.