Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lebondj1

Nov 12, 2010
E.TN
With the new Lopi coming at the end of the week my attention has been on coming up with a hearth and installation. Our outside wall is wood frame construction with a layer of brick making the wall thickness about 10". All of the thimbles including the one I'm getting adjust from 4-8" so what to do? I'm thinking the best way is to remove enough brick so the thimble lays against the sheathing and then just sealing between the brick and metal thimble. What do you suggest?
Thanks
Doug

I believe extending the inner sleeve potion of the thimble is deemed acceptable.

Harman sells a Direct Vent Wall Passthrough that adjusts from 4 1/2 to 10 5/8 wall thickness.

Two advantages is first of all its a square cut instead of a round one. and it has a built in Outside Air Hook-up

Disadvantage. Price. A bit pricey at $159 i got mine for 127 from the dealer. PN # 1-00-677077

ur giong to spend at least 50 bucks for a thimbal that your gonna have to modify..

I just saw a utube video on the thimble being pulled apart. I was thinking they were more complicated than they are. I can easily add a piece of galvanized sheet metal to extend the with and pop rivet it to one side. Thanks

Yessss
Just extend the inner part of the thimble enough to get you through the brick.

Cut the cole in the sheetrock just slightly bigger than the thimble pipe.

What I would do is use a small masonary bit, maybe 1/4" diameter and after you have located the center between studs or ??? then drill through from the inside, right through the sheet rock, the outer sheeting and then the brick.

OHHHHH BTW Be real sure of any wiring that may be inside the wall. Hard to look cool when you drill or cut through a wire running through the wall.

You can use one of these better grade stud finders that have the electrical finder too.

Just pug a floor lamp or ??? to make any lines "Working" and the little finder will snoop them right out.

Most wall plugs are fairly close to the floor BUTTTTTTTTTTT depending on where the stove exhaust is, this can be a real issue to be checked for.

Once you have your "Pilot hole" your set. You can either use a hole saw on the sheet rock or draw out the circle needed and cut the hole by hand with a keyhole saw.

The brick can be laid out and small holes drilled all the way around the diameter needed and then the brick "Worried out carefully"

Brick is not too tough to deal with.

Here is a tid bit.

I always bend a small divit in the flange on the outer part of the thimble at the bottom center.

Then caulk all the way around the thimble flanges except the little divit. This will allow any water that should ever find its way in to escape.

Good luck

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.